Going From A Uniden BCD396XT Or BCD996XT To A Home Patrol--What Do You Miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, for those that have gone from a Uniden BCD396XT or BCD996XT to a Home Patrol, what, if anything, do you miss? I know, for example, that the Home Patrol doesn't do Fire Tone Out and some other things, but I want to hear from others that have made the switch, what do you miss from the 396XT or the 996XT that the HP-1 doesn't have or doesn't do, if anything?

phask

Premium Subscriber
To a HP - miss nothing, still have 2 396-996 type that I have since moved to a back room.

Find the HP is MUCH easier to reprogram as events require.

Having banks pre-set was my mode of operation with a regular scanner, but needed cheat sheets to keep track, software was always "clunky" and requires multi-steps.

I buy scanners to listen, not to spend hours programing and tweaking.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
For me the biggest difference is the lack of System/Channel Number
Tags on the HP-1.
I use the Number Tag feature daily to quickly recall a specific TG on the 3 different local trunked systems that I monitor on my 396XT/996XT.
With that being said I love the larger display of the HP-1.
This is why you get both an XT scanner and an HP-1 :D
Best of all worlds!
Marshall KE4ZNR

fullmoon

For me the biggest difference is the lack of System/Channel Number
Tags on the HP-1.
I use the Number Tag feature daily to quickly recall a specific TG on the 3 different local trunked systems that I monitor on my 396XT/996XT.
With that being said I love the larger display of the HP-1.
This is why you get both an XT scanner and an HP-1 :D
Best of all worlds!
Marshall KE4ZNR

This is what I might do

TedRHayes

As posted above, for those that have gone from a Uniden BCD396XT or BCD996XT to a Home Patrol, what, if anything, do you miss? I know, for example, that the Home Patrol doesn't do Fire Tone Out and some other things, but I want to hear from others that have made the switch, what do you miss from the 396XT or the 996XT that the HP-1 doesn't have or doesn't do, if anything?

The biggest thing I miss is Close Call.

The BCD396XT is better for hand/belt portable operation than the HP-1, though I've found the Audio of the BCD396XT to be less than optimal (have had speaker issues over the years). Battery life is a little better than the HP-1.

Its a little easier/quicker to "Search" ranges of frequencies in the older scanners. Can be done in the HP-1, but requires a little more effort. Not a major issue to me.

I'm not sure I'd call it "made the switch". I still use the earlier scanners - sometimes (most times?) just one scanner is not enough!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Close Call and Fire Tone Out is what I miss on the HP-1. Close Call only when using it mobile. Maybe in the HP-2?

KE5TLF

Buttons (as in SQK's to rapidly activate/deactivate something)
Knob (There is absolutely no way to continue scanning from a channel that it is stopped on.)
Close Call
Per channel recording settings
One touch channel L/O

Last edited:

lep

I never used Close Call on my 996XT, never saw a purpose for it and when it accidentally got turned on was annoyed since the only thing it picked up was the nearby EDU FM BC station.
The 996XT, which I still have, is a pain to program w/o software and even then really needs a paper cheat sheet to find what systems are Where.
I have 2 HP-1, both with Extreme, and if a firmware update is released may fill all my needs. At present the HP-1 does NOT deliver UNKNOWN TGs for logging through the USB port, that is a pain and the 996XT with firmware upgrade does...otherwise the color touch screen is far superior to the tiny lcd display in 996XT. {I banished my 996T to an under-the-passenger-seat in my auto and operate it from the RH].
The 996XT is a nice, traditional DMA scanner but is really Old style, the HP-1 with color touchscreen and new form factor is NEW generation and is the sign of things-to-come IMHOP.

fullmoon

I never used Close Call on my 996XT, never saw a purpose for it and when it accidentally got turned on was annoyed since the only thing it picked up was the nearby EDU FM BC station.
The 996XT, which I still have, is a pain to program w/o software and even then really needs a paper cheat sheet to find what systems are Where.
I have 2 HP-1, both with Extreme, and if a firmware update is released may fill all my needs. At present the HP-1 does NOT deliver UNKNOWN TGs for logging through the USB port, that is a pain and the 996XT with firmware upgrade does...otherwise the color touch screen is far superior to the tiny lcd display in 996XT. {I banished my 996T to an under-the-passenger-seat in my auto and operate it from the RH].
The 996XT is a nice, traditional DMA scanner but is really Old style, the HP-1 with color touchscreen and new form factor is NEW generation and is the sign of things-to-come IMHOP.

I have never benefitted from Close Call. Doesn't HP 1 have lock out ability now?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If you select Avoid when the frequency is active, the frequency will be "avoided" until the power is cycled. If you press avoid 2 times it stays avoided in your selected favorite (unless downloaded without changes from the Sentinel program).

Status
Not open for further replies.