Status
Not open for further replies.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening,

I recent bought a duck for RR band scanning when mobile (a Smiley 5/8 duck for RR). Problem is, I needed a 90° elbow to use with my Uniden SDS200 - the BNC on that is horizontal (more or less). The elbow I got (NOT from Smiley) is rather loose at the joint and swings pretty freely thus allowing the duck to freely flop to one side or the other. Sure, if I were running cable instead of a duck, the free swivel might be desirable, but not in this case. Anyone know where I can get a elbow that's a little, well, "stiffer"? Or is there a special nomenclature / specification I should be looking at?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

--Pete

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This is a much better solution:

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
This is a much better solution:
This is certainly interesting but it might be overkill & excess baggage if I'm already sitting adjacent to the (rail) yard. That said, I might have a use for it... I think the 1/2" plain hole one would do for the Smiley or factory telescoping whip.

Thanks for contributing that interesting info...

--Pete

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A simple elbow is never going to work all that well, because the radio case ground plane blocks signal from one side, and makes your reception pattern more vertical than horizontal. An external ground plane solves both problems at once, even if you shorten the coax to about a foot and stick it to the top of the scanner with magnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.