Going offline every Tuesday at 5:30am - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

Every Tuesday at 5:30am, my computer forces the feed offline. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why it always goes offline at this particular time and day?

kibler

Feed Provider
wbswetnam.........I am sure you have already checked, but maybe your anti virus or the feed PC "Check for updates" settings are all ok! There must be a reason for this and wish I knew the answer! Maybe someone on here has the solution! Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Some kind of system update at that time? Check all your settings, and then if still no answers, we go to troubleshooting again.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
Mine was because of AVG antivirus. Once I switched to another antivirus, the problem disappeared.

wbswetnam

Mine was because of AVG antivirus. Once I switched to another antivirus, the problem disappeared.

My antivirus is Avast, and I checked the settings on the AV... it seems normal. Part of the problem is that I don't actually live where the scanner is. The scanner / computer set up are at my dad's house in Southside, whereas I live 130 miles away in Russellville, so I don't have immediate access to it. Plus, my 80 year old father has zero computer skills so I can't ask him to reset it for me - it just has to wait until my next visit whenever it goes offline.

I use the free version of TeamViewer on my feed computer so I can remote in to restart broadcastify if something happen to it.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
The scanner / computer set up are at my dad's house in Southside, whereas I live 130 miles away in Russellville, so I don't have immediate access to it.

I use Chrome Remote Desktop to access my feed computer. It does an excellent job.

Mike

wbswetnam

I have the Chrome Remote Desktop set up, and I set Windows Update from automatic to "only when prompted". Now let's see what happens this Tuesday at 5:30am...

wbswetnam

Once again, Windows seems to have crashed and I don't know why. Chrome Desktop has been forceably logged off from that end. At this point I give up, I'm taking down the feed permanently. Oh well it was worth a try.

KB0VWG

Once again, Windows seems to have crashed and I don't know why. Chrome Desktop has been forceably logged off from that end. At this point I give up, I'm taking down the feed permanently. Oh well it was worth a try.

Maybe you should try to have the pc run in save mode for a week and see what happens then. I think you will still be able to access it thru chrome or teamveiwer. If you do that do save mode with networking.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

wbswetnam

I think that I may have finally found the problem, and it isn't the computer, or the scanner - it's the cable modem. For some reason it 'hick ups' early on Tuesday mornings and needs to be reset. Fortunately, even my technology-challenged 80-year-old father can unplug and plug back in the modem to reset it. I'm going to give that a try; I'd like to keep the feed going. It's running for now but I expect it to go offline again Tuesday AM, so I'll call my father and ask him to reset the modem for me.

josh811ncvfd

Feed Provider
Central City, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky
Try Remote software

I use TeamViewer to remote control my PC. It is free for personal use. You can enable unattended access with a free account.
You could also setup the application in the Windows Startup folder and setup an auto reboot at 5:35am or later.
Sometimes after a power outage or similar, I have to call home (I travel a lot) to have someone power the PC back on. ScannerCast auto restarts, but sometimes TwoToneDetect does not.

wbswetnam

It went offline this morning at 5:30AM, as always. Later in the morning I called my father, who reset the modem, and now it's running again. It's still a mystery as to why Suddenlink causes the internet modem to go offline at that particular time, but now I have a solution to the problem.

Chronic

I had a very similar problem and what was happening was the cable company was updating there DNS servers and that would cause the drop out . My fix was to go into the network settings and use googles Free Public DNS servers and my problem was solved.

Googles DNS IS

Prefered DNS : 8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS: 8.8.4.4

Status
Not open for further replies.