Going to Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
I'm going on a cruise to Alaska next month. I'm flying from Hartford,CT to Vancover BC, I'm catching a Royal Caribbean ship and hitting several ports heading north, getting off in Seward and then heading home.
I'd LOVE to bring my BCD 396T along. Can I ?
Has anyone had any experience with getting a scanner on a plane or cruise ship? I don't want to pack it in the checked luggage because I'm sure it would get stolen or damaged. Maybe I should just get a Pelican case for it and take my chances in the checked luggage.
I could call the cruise line or airline and ask but you know I'd get someone without a clue and they'd say "no" just because they don't know.
Royal Caribbean says they do not allow guests to bring ham radio equipment on board. I don't think a scanner would fall into the Ham Radio catagory.
Thanks for any help!
Terry

BC_Scan

If you don't bring it you will regret every moment of it, forget what the cruise line says (make it discreet) there are lot's of comm's on the cruise ships all freqs listed in the database basically 457-458 mhz & 467 mhz, lot's to listen to in Vancouver plus all the way up to Alaska. All freqs listed in database.let me know if there is something in particular you want to hear. In Canada scanner is totally OK, (usual story don't interfere or repeat what you hear if it is public safety) happy sailing , we are a having simply fantastic weather 20 degress C + every day clear blue sky , will be a breathtaking journey.
Enjoy Beautiful BC.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
About 3 years back I took an Inside Passage cruise on NCL. I didn't take a scanner, but I saw no reason that I could not have had one with me. More importantly take a digital camera and lots of memory and several sets of batteries and charger.

If you can get a berth on the upper deck it's worth the extra money. The ones with a small patio area and sliding glass door. Port or Starboard doesn't make any difference. Trip with be in the center of the channel both up and back and the shoreline is never to far away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.