Going to work for my general and looking to buy a mobil rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF0AWL

Hobo
I have decided to move up now that I have the basics of the hobby under my belt.
My question is tho, I have read some comments that 10m is kinda dying out. Is that truth? Would I be wasting money picking up a 10m?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
My question is tho, I have read some comments that 10m is kinda dying out. Is that truth?

It's not that 10m is dying out, so much as it is that 10m is VERY dependent on propagation, and the solar cycle is at its minimum right now. The summer has some decent times, due to Sporadic E, but generally speaking the band is not very busy right now. That said, the solar cycle should be improving in the coming years.

For the amount of money you will spend on a 10m radio (most of which are truly meant for illegal CB operation, like I noted in the other thread), you can get a used Icom 706 and have every HF band in your car. It's an old radio, but it's still great for mobile work. Of course you need to get a suitable antenna, but I would be way happier working 20m and 40m mobile than 10m, as propagation is guaranteed on a daily basis. There is not a single day that I have not been able to work DX on 20m and 40m.

Status
Not open for further replies.