Gold Connectors. Are they Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanrrman

I was wondering what, if any, benefits would I be getting if I were to purchase some gold connectors for my radio. I'm using a bcd396t with the sma to bnc connector to a Shack 800mhz antenna. I didn't see any in the store, do they make gold sma to bnc. If I were to purchase one, would it be beneficial (I know it's probably pretty cheap so I can't go wrong but...) Or is it just one of those things where if you think it works then it does.

prcguy

Silver plating is lower resistance than gold although gold does not oxidize. Silver oxide is still extremely low resistance. Most consumer connectors that are gold plated are so thin and so poorly done that the gold will flake off, which can get in equipment. Mil stuff that is gold plated is done to a higher standard. Here’s a link to some plating info for electrical purposes: http://www.proplate.com/platerscorner.htm
prcguy

k9rzz

Bottom line: you're not going to say "WOW! I SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT LONG AGO!!".

You won't see any improvement in your reception ... but if you like to impress people ....

John K9RZZ

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Scanr and all,

Gold plated connectors and oxygen free copper wire are snake oil. Gold is only used for critical applications and BOTH connectors must be the same metal in order for the plating to be effective. Unless you're prepared to replace both sides of each pair you gain nothing, in fact since you're not going to launch your scanner into space, forget it.

"You WILL respect mah autoritah!"
Eric Cartman

kf4lne

In the broadcast industry we use silver plated (damn near) everything. Gold is great if you are in a enviroment that corrodes metal quickly or if you just want to look pimp. Gold is useless for much of anything else. Also, gold plated connectors may be useful when impressing the ladies...at the scanner shop.

DickH

scanrrman said:
I was wondering what, if any, benefits would I be getting if I were to purchase some gold connectors for my radio.

They are of great benefit to the seller and simply H Y P E to you. Look how Radio Shack gets $1 more for some little part with gold plating. Those parts will do nothing for you except cost you more.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi again,

"In the broadcast industry we use silver plated (damn near) everything."

Having been in the manufacturing end of the broadcast industry and very familiar with a great deal of it all the way down the line I can personally vouch for the fact that it's a VERY critical application. Extremely low contact resistance is critical from the standpoint of noise and noise is the bane of the industry from A to Z. To put it simply the longer the chain the more links in it and each link produces noise, the effect is cumulative. The specifications of your typical audio line amp or monitor make a high end consumer stereo center look like a guitarist's fuzz box.

YO! Ahz jus way-in fo a rappah ta pu a strin o go pated RCA peen pugs on ox-ee-gin fee speakah wi roun he neck an co it bling, yo. (;->)

commscanaus

Gold better for DC?

Thought you might all like to see the latest accessory for pimping an engine bay.
These will look "dope" alongside my chrome fan belt.

Seriously though- an electronics parts distributor is selling these locally along with gold plated crimp terminals and RCA plugs. You can even purchase a 1 farad capacitor with gold plated terminations. I have even seen quoted that these connectors are lossless!
There goes my new 6x9" speakers efficiency- I only used standard crimp terminals!

I honestly think that as long as you use good quality connectors and cable for radio installations, you will have years of problem free enjoyment.
Over the years I have used Greenpar, Acme, Andrews and Suhner- mostly silver or nickel plated. Spending extra on connectors is worth it in the long run.
Avoid the cheap nasty stuff from consumer outlets if possible. I have had threads bind on connectors that were not properly manufactured to spec- using a Dremel to remove a seized N plug is not much fun!

Commscanaus

Attachments

• Gold Batt Terminals.jpg
    Gold Batt Terminals.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 260
Status
Not open for further replies.