Goldsboro FD/wayne county

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanGFD

I'm an explorer on Goldsboro Fire Dept. in Wayne County, NC... I'm trying to find out the cheapest scanner to buy to pick up the fire department.. I have no experience with scanners or anything like that so I have NO idea what to look for.. I just want to hear calls and maybe the ops channel for fire ground traffic but nothing fancy.. If anybody knows any information on this, your input would be much appreciated! Thanks

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR

First if you are wanting to follow Goldsboro you will probably want to look at investing in a digital scanner.

I say this, because Wayne County has their own VHF digital trunking system.

I searched and all of the fire operations channels are on the county trunking system and they are

transmitted in digital mode.

Sure a analog scanner will work for listening to Goldsboro Fire Dispatch, County Fire & EMS, however

that is about all you will hear.

The best option is to go with a digital scanner that way you can monitor both the Wayne County Trunking

System as well as the State 800 Mhz. Viper Radio System as well.

Hope this helps

David

RyanGFD

I only want to hear the initial dispatch not the ops channels/fireground.. So to listen to the DISPATCH only do I need a digital or analog? Also what is the absolute cheapest thing I can get to hear dispatch only?

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Ok

Then a analog scanner will do fine.

Check either:

Scannermaster Police Scanner, Radio Scanners Frequency, Uniden, Bearcat, AOR, Radio Shack | ScannerMaster.com

Radio Shack RadioShack – Do It Together

Ebay Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay

Also another good place to check is Craig's List craigslist > sites

I would also check local yard sales and flea markets to.

I would first check the Craig's List site, because there are a lot of people are selling off there old analog

scanners and buying the new digital ones.

I would also check Radio Shack, because they usually have a sale all the time on scanners.

Hope this helps

David

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Goldsboro Fire is Dispatched on thier Digital Talkgroup (GFD MAIN) and they do not have an analog dispatch channel. The only thing that you can still hear on the analog side is County Fire and County EMS. You will have to purchase a digital trunking scanner to monitor Goldsboro Fire Dept. You may be able to find a nice used Radio Shack Pro 106 on ebay or craigslist, that is what i use and it works great

Last edited:

RyanGFD

So the Pro 106 can pick up the GFD dispatch? Also you sound pretty familiar with Goldsboros radios.. Have you ever listened to them with the 106? Did it work good? Like I said I know nothing about scanners lol

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, the pro 106 works pretty well for monitoring goldsboro fire. With the 106 u can hear both the dispatch channel and the ops channels

RyanGFD

Can I hear analog on the 106 aswell? Like maybe if I didn't wan't to listen to Goldbsoro and I wanted to switch to Wayne County EMS or maybe VFDs? Also with the 106 what do you do to program it to goldsboro/ems/vfds? Is it easy/hard to program? Also did you use RR's page to program yours so is it up to date?

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Can I hear analog on the 106 aswell? Like maybe if I didn't wan't to listen to Goldbsoro and I wanted to switch to Wayne County EMS or maybe VFDs? Also with the 106 what do you do to program it to goldsboro/ems/vfds? Is it easy/hard to program? Also did you use RR's page to program yours so is it up to date?

Yeah, u can hear the analog frequencies as well with the 106. The nice thing about the 106 is that is has several different banks on it for example on mine I have the analog frequencies in bank 1 and the digital system in bank 2. And yeah the database is pretty current with the talkgroups. It's not really that bad to program and if u have any trouble with programming u can take it to radio shack and they can help u program it

Status
Not open for further replies.