• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

gonna be more burps and chirps transmitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
· LoJack for Laptops tracks, locates and recovers stolen
laptop or desktop computers.
· If your PC is stolen, our Recovery Team will work with
local police to get it back.
· If we can't recover your PC within 30 days, we'll refund
your purchase.

JnglMassiv

I'm pretty sure those are software-based and work over the internet, not the airwaves. If the thief doesn't connect to the internet, there's not chance of recovery.

NeFire242

Unless of course they forget to turn off the Wi-Fi card too. It might connect in the background and search for networks to gain access to the internet and send it's call for help.

dustin486

Yep, those are all software based and have nothing to do with transmitting over a lojack frequency. If the person replaces the hard drive (or reformats it) or never connects to the internet, then it will be a lost cause.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
dustin486 said:
If the person replaces the hard drive (or reformats it) or never connects to the internet, then it will be a lost cause.
Not if they replace your computer after 30 days.

JnglMassiv

Dubbin said:
Not if they replace your computer after 30 days.
I was thinking about that. My guess is that they refund the price of the Lojak software and that they do not replace the computer.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

As I suspected N4 got his wires a bit crossed. For information on the software go to http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/ and http://www.absolute.com/ will take you to Absolute Software Corp., the company that makes it. Considering what this stuff is I wouldn't trust it in YOUR computer! Talk about deliberatly installing not only spyware but stuff that has the capability of wiping your computer out, this stuff they sell is potentially DEADLY. Don't look now but when the reverse engineering crew gets thier hands on it we'll have yet another threat to deal with.

Oh Polder, don't get all bent out of shape over nothing, he's just yanking your crank. You have bigger things to worry about like my Distelfink. (;->)

poltergeisty

kb2vxa said:
Hi all,Oh Polder, don't get all bent out of shape over nothing, he's just yanking your crank. You have bigger things to worry about like my Distelfink. (;->)
It's not polder!

I'm not worried about anything. :roll: Who said I was worried? Oh, you! Well, don't get bent out of shape on my ideas. They hold water, but never surrounded by dikes. Polder! (;->) :twisted: (;->) :twisted: (;->):twisted:

Polter would be better.....

Polder

geist <--That's me!

Last edited:

FPO703

The hard drive has nothing to do with it. Every Network card has a MAC address that is hardcoded into it. That transmits along with the IP address at the time. If the MAC address is reported as stolen, it would send out an alert that way.

JnglMassiv

FPO703 said:
The hard drive has nothing to do with it. Every Network card has a MAC address that is hardcoded into it. That transmits along with the IP address at the time. If the MAC address is reported as stolen, it would send out an alert that way.
Nah. How would the stolen lappy know where to report to? Say the PC I'm on now was reported stolen..How would LoJak or anyone else know it was stolen without my logging into a specific site that recorded the MAC addresses and forwarded them in realtime (or close to it) to LoJak and/or the authorities? Eventually they might get lucky but the odds are pretty well stacked against swift recovery.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
High again, issssmeee,

Polter, polder, boulder or colored red (Colorado) whateveryouare, you've been sniffing moth balls again. (Ohhh, sexy!)

"All I offered was an idea and I get a bunch of smart asses!"

Well, that's only a dumbkoph (spelling?) looked at from the other end or maybe the northern end of a south bound horse, I don't know. (A certain page in Hustler comes to mind too.) OK, so what do you expect when the topic starter was asinine to begin with? Water and donkey diarehea flow downhill don't they? Next time when you see it coming get out of the way maybe? Remember noisy ghost, this IS the Tavern and the floor is slippery, a bit of overspill from the sheissraum.

Oh, if you light those moth balls you have C. B. Demille's flaming hail, Moses would be proud. Or was that Moyshe Dyan? (;->)

Anyway, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, just don't leave your laptop on the train.

poltergeisty

kb2vxa said:
Water and donkey diarehea flow downhill don't they? Next time when you see it coming get out of the way maybe?
Yes of course, I learned :lol: something now. The Jackass is you. Wooo, watch out! it's flowing real fast down the moutain!

It seems...seems...Ahhhhh!, can't, get, out, help!

Oh crap, I'm stuck in donkey sht. My god, that gas! :lol: :lol:

Please don't tell me there will be more burps and chirps. please, noooo!

Ain't I a funny ghost?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.