Good 800 Mhz Base Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy404ns

Hi all,

I'll be upgrading to the bcd996t in a month or so and will be using it primarily for monitoring 800mhz digital trunked systems in my area. I made some room on the mast and have purchased a run of LMR-400 in preparation. Now I just need to get an antenna... I have a few that I found online that I would like opinions on if you've used them. Also, I'm linking to the manufacturers websites (i'll search for deals once I know which antenna i want)

Antenex FG8240

Antenex FG8243

Antenex Y8063

The above can be seen here:

http://www.antenex.com/c_search.asp?txtFunction=browse1&selFamily=...&selMarket=.&selApplication=BSF

I have a Cometelco on my car and I've been very pleased with the results so I'm also looking at the 800 mhz antennas here:

http://www.rfwiz.com/Comtelco/ComtelcoBase2.htm

and http://www.rfwiz.com/Comtelco/ComtelcoBase1.htm

Do you guys prefer directional yagis or the omnidirectional antennas like the ones above? Thanks for any and all help/opinions. Oh and I searched for a while before posting this. Most 800mhz antenna discussions end up talking solely about cable and I already got my lmr-400!

andy404ns

hoser147 said:
Good Choice on coax and antenna, as far as the Omni or the yagi let the tower position of the systems you want to monitor dictate that................Hoser

Yeah I have a tower for the primary system I'll be monitoring roughly 3 miles from my house. Have you used any of those antennas I mentioned?

delta_p

With regard to the yagi, I'll recommend it. I have both a wilson yagi and a scantenna in the the attic and for 800 Mhz the yagi is ultra clear but it is highly directional. The scantenna does good too but with the yagi, if you have a good shot to the tower and get it lined up it's like hitting a sweet spot on signal reception.

PP

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Go with the yagi!

I say YAGI!
While omni is good all around, The Yagi, being directional, will alow you to "focus" or "Direct" the antennas' signal capture ability in the direction where the signal is strongest. I did it with a 6 element Yagi. You will obviously need some help. The way I did it was I had a friend at the antenna end with a walkie talkie. I was at the radio end with the other walkie and watching the signal meter. I had the radio locked in on the control channel. After a few minutes of testing, we secured the antenna to the mast when we found the strongest signal and it has been performing great since. I am still able to monitor other 800MHZ. signals. Its just aimed at the site I monitor the most. As luck would have it, I am using LMR-400Uf cable.

Manny

Last edited:

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
andy404ns said:
Yeah I have a tower for the primary system I'll be monitoring roughly 3 miles from my house. Have you used any of those antennas I mentioned?
I agree with hoser. If the tower is only three miles away, you do not need a yagi - the omni will work fine. I use both. If you're looking at greater distances, like 20 or 30 mi, or obstructions like hills, etc., then the yagi would be better.

My omni on 700 MHz does fine up to about 25-30 miles, but that also depends on the height of the tower above your elevation and and the terrain. I use my yagi for some distant towers on mountain tops (35-55 miles) and it works fine.

I think I would use the FG 8243, but it may not be too easy to find since it is listed as a special order from Antenex. A lot of Antenex stuff shows up on ebay, much of it new.

Dave

andy404ns

Thanks for the responses guys. Because the primary tower I'll be monitoring is about 3 miles away and because I have other trunked systems that I'd like to monitor in the other direction, I think I'll go with the omni, probably the FG8243 from Antenex. I'll let you know how it works out but I wont be purchasing it or the scanner for a good month and half. I know that if I buy it now I'll spend all my time playing with it and I still have a month and half of school left! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.