Good all-around portable for NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsThisOneTaken

Premium Subscriber
I would like to monitor N-WINS as well as the trunked systems in Lincoln/Omaha when I wander that direction, plus all the analog channels around.

I travel NE quite a bit, obviously. :)

It looks like either the PRO-106 or the Uniden 396XT are the way to go. Am I missing any others (or any older models that I may be able to pick up cheaper...)?

Any strong recommendations either way? Why?

I really enjoy my Pro 106. Flexible, excellent portable for my needs. Of course it suits me well. Your needs may differ for what I use mine for, however. Gather some information on both scanners (and other P25 capable models) to find out what works best for you. RR.com is a goldmine with information and forums about scanners, pros, cons and comments on just about any model, just in case you already haven't found out. :)

ggraves, you say the PSR 800 handles P25 better, do you have one? How does it handle ORION and the simulcast issues it creates with most P25 scanners?

SCPD

QRT
I have Pro106 and PSR 800 and I almost always use my PSR 800. Last night I had them side by side on different talkgroups on ORION and PSR-800 had almost no problems while Pro106 has some skips. I can't say PSR-800 is perfect but it is a major improvement. One thing to note about the 800 is you need a computer to program it.

W6KRU

If ORION causes simulcast issues, I strongly suggest that you forget about the 396XT because unless you get lucky, it will cause you tremendous frustration.

SCPD

QRT
The 396XT goes silent a lot of times (making you think there's no traffic). I got rid of my 396XT!

Status
Not open for further replies.