Good bag for all these extra radio parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadpole207

Hey ham fam,

quick question: anyone have recommendations for a good bag/storage for all these extra parts/ antennas etc rather than just a tool box?

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
I usually end up finding a bag that something else came in, or just get lucky. A lot depends on the size of the items and if they're fragile or not. A cheap plastic "ammo can" from Harbor Freight would hold a good amount of adapters and cables, but it wouldn't have much in the means of protection. Small plastic parts/craft organizers are good for something like a NanoVNA and all of it's little adapters. I had some Logitech speakers that came with a padded zipper case - that made a great travel case for my scopemeter and probes. I have an old military tool bag that works good for my pair of GMRS radios and accessories.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You can find sturdy zippered cloth bags at Home Depot and Lowes in the tool department. They are sold with names of tool makers on them and are shaped like a bank deposit bag.

a417

U+0000
Every couple of months HD/Lowes will put them on sale by the registers for $3.99 or $4.99 down from around $9. Right before holidays they usually go on sale around me.

tadpole207

thanks. I found some of these "roll up" bags with sleeves for different tools/items. Was hoping someone had already figured out the magical way to store everything while being able to sort them at the same time. I found a bag made by Icom for field day radios, but they wanted $150 of course (it would have been half of the battle won).

these were the roll bags i was referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Ryker-Bag-Sm...&pd_rd_r=ef895224-b906-45e5-8334-c1526c00043f

I just want to reduce clutter and keep everything in one place so to speak, kinda like how my solderless terminal assortment came in one box with the wire cutter/stripper.

These (ya'lls) are good ideas that i can probably incorporate into a larger carrying case. Many thanks. I figure i will need something to help categorize the loose items so i can put them all in a larger bag.

a417

U+0000
Untitled.png
I have probably 2 dozen of these things, from 8in to 12in (pictured). never spent more than about $8 on them. Some husky, some kobalt, some dewalt, i love em.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I've got a bunch of those in my work truck. One is full of my small coax crimper tools. One has all the various site keys/door lock cards. They are great for small tools and parts.
Home Depot/Lowes is a great source. You can also get them on Amazon.

Klein Tools makes some nice ones, even leather versions.

I've got them in the glove compartment holding all the little loose things that accumulate.

Whenever I find them on sale, I always pick some up. Always finding new uses for them.

tadpole207

Thanks all. On the bags that numerous people recommend, what do you do with the the bags once you accumulate them? Do you put them in a larger bag, a tool box or? What is the best way to "label" them so when you do store multiple bags, i assume, into a larger container?

Again, thanks everyone for their suggestions. I reckon it comes down to personal preference, and perhaps it would be best to put them in all in a travel toolbox or larger bag of some sorts?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks all. On the bags that numerous people recommend, what do you do with the the bags once you accumulate them? Do you put them in a larger bag, a tool box or?

On my work truck, I've got them stuffed in the appropriate cabinet on the service body. They just ride in there until I need them.

What is the best way to "label" them so when you do store multiple bags, i assume, into a larger container?

I have some of the Husky/Home Depot brand bags, and they have a window pocket on them. I stick one of my business cards in there and just turn it around and write on it. Serves two purposes in case I lose it.

Again, thanks everyone for their suggestions. I reckon it comes down to personal preference, and perhaps it would be best to put them in all in a travel toolbox or larger bag of some sorts?

Yeah, whatever works for you. Larger tool bag would work, Pelican case, cardboard box, greasy McDonalds bag with a few stale french fries in the bottom, whatever….

Some of them have loops for attaching carabiners, you could link them all together if you wanted.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I've had good results with Harbor Freight tool bags, their knock off Pelican cases, and divided parts boxes.

I use the tool bags for handhelds and chargers when I travel, plus misc antenna parts, cell phone amp, extension cords, plugs and misc wall worts, etc. Since all the bags are black, I use colored luggage tags to tell them apart.

I use their knock of Pelican cases for test equipment, portable and mobile radios.

The plastic divided parts boxes (which come in a variety of sizes) are used for small parts. I have a couple dedicate for SMA connectors and adapters.

I have a larger, open top type carrier that I keep in my 4Runner. It holds bottled water, TP, hand cleanerr, Bungee cords and misc. items.

These frequently pop up on sale.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I use their knock of Pelican cases for test equipment, portable and mobile radios.

I used one of those for mounting a VHF mobile on my sons Polaris Ace. Bought it on sale for something like $35.
GM-300 mounted inside. Bought waterproof multi-pin circular connectors for power/ground and another for microphone and speaker. I installed a BNC connector for the antenna. It's bolted down on the rear rack, entirely waterproof and easily removable.
Very comparable to the legit Pelican cases at a much, much lower price.

a417

U+0000
What is the best way to "label" them so when you do store multiple bags, i assume, into a larger container?

I sharpie the purpose/contents on the bags in contrasting colors. The black / blue bags get the Silver Metallic, the yellows get black or blue, etc...I write it on the flats of the handles, as well as stem & stern. Big block letters, multiple passes over each stroke, they can be read from across the room. They all have big cheap carabiners on them and either get clipped to generic garage wall tool hooks, or to the under supports of the wall shelves. I can grab several of them if needed and clip them together, and then the stuff thats big & heavy usually has an associated tool box (plumbing stuff, etc) that is also marked.

I like those bags because they have a flat bottom and don't flop over, and I can stack them on top of other large bulk containers and it still looks neat.

thesavo

Feed Provider
I like this discussion. I'm a bit overwhelmed with my tool bags and am also looking for a way to label them. I like the idea of the luggage tags.

I store my radio bits in two places.
I bought a few of the harbor freight storehouse tackle containers with different size Removable cups. This holds all my coax adaptors.

I have a tool bag for my terminal crimpers and ends . It has power poles, ferrules, general purpose red/blue/yellow terminals, and Kenwood/icom t-type terminals.

Everything else is divided into table top drawer kits.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220703-212521_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703-212521_Firefox.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220703-212650_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703-212650_Firefox.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

WA8ZTZ

Canvas linesman bucket, soft and collapsible... not clunky like a plastic 5 gallon pail.

Status
Not open for further replies.