• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good CB Radio for Snowboarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moshecom

Hi

I am a newbie :)
I want to get a reliable CB for ski season. I was eying the Moto Mag-One BPR40, as it looks small, rigid and cost effective.

What do you guys think?
What bands should I be using?

Thanks,
Moshe

freqs

I have never heard of that radio who makes it. dont take it wrong but what use would you have with at ski season not meant as SMART A** remark just asking the ues of a CB for ski patrol to just talk to other skiers ??

moshecom

Thanks, no problems, I want to talk to other skiers...
Which makes me think I need something that supports FRS / GMRS, in case they have an "off-the-shelf" product.

The Yaesu VX-3R, seems to be dual band VHF / UHF. So if I get a pair for me and my buddy, we can use VHF, but if I want to talk to others I can use UHF.

Do you think it will work?

I have never heard of that radio who makes it. dont take it wrong but what use would you have with at ski season not meant as SMART A** remark just asking the ues of a CB for ski patrol to just talk to other skiers ??

freqs

ok I dont know for sure but I would think FRS/ GMRS would be a better radio than CB or more widely used over CB for that use .most are small and easy to carry in your pocket they sell them cheap at any store like Wallmart kmarts and the like for around 30 bucks and up

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.294 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

The VX-3r is a ham radio, so unless you and your buddie are going to get your tech license its not an option. You are best to use frs/gmrs. Other than frs or murs everything else REQUIRES you to have a license of one form or another to use. You cannot just pick a frequency and start using it

moshecom

Thanks! Getting license is not a bad idea.
But is I can happily settle with using the device for only FRS and MURS.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.294 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

The VX-3r is a ham radio, so unless you and your buddie are going to get your tech license its not an option. You are best to use frs/gmrs. Other than frs or murs everything else REQUIRES you to have a license of one form or another to use. You cannot just pick a frequency and start using it

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

The VX-3r should not be used for anything other than ham use. There are many reasons for this. If you want to use FRS/GMRS buy a radio designed for FRS/GMRS do not use a modded ham rig. There are all sorts of FRS/GMRS radios out there that will do the trick

moshecom

OK, is there any other solution that:

1) Has a long range in a mountainous area?
2) Has (some) compatibility with FRS/GRMS?
3) Is compact
4) (fairly) Reliable in cold & wet weather

moshecom

Will the Cobra MR HH425LI do the trick?

Thanks,
Moshe

OK, is there any other solution that:

1) Has a long range in a mountainous area?
2) Has (some) compatibility with FRS/GRMS?
3) Is compact
4) (fairly) Reliable in cold & wet weather

RadioDaze

That's a marine band radio that happens to have GMRS capability as well. You can't use the VHF marine channels on land, so you'll be wasting your money on that part of the radio. I'd focus on a radio that had strictly FRS/GMRS (or MURS)

CalebATC

Get GMRS/FRS or MURS. It will probably be used most over amateur radio. But who knows? Ask someone at the slopes!

Or, you could get your friend and you and get your techs! You could talk to one of the private repeater owners and see if you could use their repeater for the winter for skier-skier use, so you don't clog up the local repeater (if simplex does not work).

RayAir

That's a marine band radio that happens to have GMRS capability as well. You can't use the VHF marine channels on land, so you'll be wasting your money on that part of the radio. I'd focus on a radio that had strictly FRS/GMRS (or MURS)

Tell that to the Orange City Police in Nebraska.
They used marine channels as their "secret" channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.