Good filter for scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

Without knowing what it is that's interfering, it's hard to narrow down a suggestion. Is there interference coming from a motor--like the A/C? Or are they running some kind of transmitter kicking out RF (like are they running a CB?

Ubbe

Hey I have a problem with a unit I think my neighbors have SOMETHING that is killing my reception
Which frequency band, or is it killing all frequencies?

How have you tested to be able to know that you loose reception? If it's only in the 700-900MHz band it could be simulcast transmissions that makes the scanner go in and out of reception. If it's in the 150-170MHz band it could be a pager transmitter that Whistlers scanners seems to be sensitive to and overloads. What are the signal strength indicating on those frequencies that you sometimes loose reception from? Maybe you generally have a low signal strength from everything you receive and need a better external antenna.

If you loose reception in the middle of conversations then quickly lower the squelch, set it to 0, and listen if you hear a faint analog signal, or if it starts to decode the digital signal again. If you could make a video of the display with audio when this happens it would probably be a big help.

/Ubbe

OpenCarrier

Without knowing what it is that's interfering, it's hard to narrow down a suggestion. Is there interference coming from a motor--like the A/C? Or are they running some kind of transmitter kicking out RF (like are they running a CB?
No It is more like they have a TV or DVD or computer. It plays havoc on scanning a local TSYS APCO object. It happens when they are at home.

Last edited:

OpenCarrier

Which frequency band, or is it killing all frequencies?

How have you tested to be able to know that you loose reception? If it's only in the 700-900MHz band it could be simulcast transmissions that makes the scanner go in and out of reception. If it's in the 150-170MHz band it could be a pager transmitter that Whistlers scanners seems to be sensitive to and overloads. What are the signal strength indicating on those frequencies that you sometimes loose reception from? Maybe you generally have a low signal strength from everything you receive and need a better external antenna.

If you loose reception in the middle of conversations then quickly lower the squelch, set it to 0, and listen if you hear a faint analog signal, or if it starts to decode the digital signal again. If you could make a video of the display with audio when this happens it would probably be a big help.

/Ubbe
700 MHZ. I unplugged stuff and turned off breakers in the apartment. So it's not something >I< have at least. The RSSI meter will go up and down like someone playing a harp?? I would like to pluck an external antenna out there but they are strict round these parts. The "S" symbol will blink in such a way it has a pattern! S ( ) S S ( ) S .

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What scanner model, and what system? The problem might be RFI, but there are other possibilities.

richwig

Could be a bad LED or CFL light spraying noise, or anything else with a poorly designed switching power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.