TRX-1: Good flexible 'all-bands' antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teward

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-1, and I quite like it! It's able to pick up all the channels I care about, *and* use CTCSS / CDCSS as well as other methods to filter out traffic and only give me traffic on channels I care about. Swapped out the 4GB MicroSD card it came with with a 32GB MicroSD card for more storage and recordings, and I quite love my TRX-1!

However, I have one small tiny problem - I have a habit of being a little rough on my equipment, and I am almost 100% certain this antenna will not survive more than 9 months of being carried by me on a regular basis. My older RadioShack scanner had the same problem.

Can anyone recommend a good all-bands flexible antenna? I have variable-length antennas that aren't flexible if I need to listen to specific frequency ranges, but for regular use I'd like to know if there's any good flexible antennas for my TRX-1 that have good reception on most of the bands it can cover.

BrianG61UK

No portable antenna covers everything from 25MHz to 1300MHz.
The supplied antenna gets progressively worse as you drop below about 700MHz. It's not even that great on 435MHz.

SCPD

QRT
I like the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna,available on ebay.
Or the stock antenna for the Wouxun Kg-UV8d

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
There's always the Wilson antenna's the 801 model is just a little bigger than the stock antenna and very flexible. I use them on all of my scanners especially when they are on my belt. They should be available from scanner master and Universal Radio.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

teward

Premium Subscriber
The supplied antenna gets progressively worse as you drop below about 700MHz. It's not even that great on 435MHz.

Well, I know it picks up 162.55 MHz (regional weather radio), but that thing has an output power of 1000 watts, so pretty much *anything* will pick that up heh.

And I also know that it doesn't pick up ~435 MHz very well, I've been 'borrowing' a portable adjustable-length antenna for my scanner from my accessories for my older RadioShack one, but it's not a flexible antenna so on my waist the antenna doesn't help much, it's actually a hindrance.

As to all the recommendations here, I'll take a look at the various recommendations and let you know what I go with. Thank you all!

DJ11DLN

The RS/Remtronix 800 antennas work remarkably well on VHF-Hi/UHF even though they're not specifically marketed for anything except 800 MHz, and they're quite flexible. I'm guessing from your original post that something like a Diamond RH77 would be too long. I like that one also but getting poked in the armpit all the time limits its use for me.

bgav

+1 Diamond RH77-CA if you don't mind the length. I have one on my PSR-800 and it does a great job from VHF Low to covering MA Statewide 800Mhz.

This might be an option, at that price worth checking out..

Flexible Whip BNC Antenna 2m/70cm Soft Aerial for Vertex Kenwood TK100, TK200

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone recommend a good all-bands flexible antenna? I have variable-length antennas that aren't flexible if I need to listen to specific frequency ranges, but for regular use I'd like to know if there's any good flexible antennas for my TRX-1 that have good reception on most of the bands it can cover.[/QUOTE]

Diamond makes a very flexible dual-band antenna (the RH519) that might address your needs to some extent.

The Diamond RH519 has been a good performer for most of my VHF-hi, UHF, and 800 MHz listening needs, and it's so flexible that the strain on the radio mount is almost nonexistent, even when it's been folded over and squeezed into a briefcase. Like most dual-band amateur antennas, it has some weak spots in its coverage, but no flexible antenna is going to give you top-level sensitivity across the entire reception range of the TRX-1.

Hope this helps.

-Johnnie

DJ11DLN

I ordered the one bgav posted...for that price it's worth a try. May have thrown my money away but if I've learned anything about antennas, it's that you can only know if something works for you by actually trying it.

Ed6698

I ordered the one bgav posted...for that price it's worth a try. May have thrown my money away but if I've learned anything about antennas, it's that you can only know if something works for you by actually trying it.

I would buy this antenna from a reputable place, best to buy the actual Diamond antenna also. I have 3 of these antennas and I bought 1 on the cheap and it turns out it is a junk counterfeit antenna. 2 are the official Diamond RH77-CA, the other is a counterfeit piece of junk.

DJ11DLN

I would buy this antenna from a reputable place, best to buy the actual Diamond antenna also. I have 3 of these antennas and I bought 1 on the cheap and it turns out it is a junk counterfeit antenna. 2 are the official Diamond RH77-CA, the other is a counterfeit piece of junk.
I have a couple of RH77's and like them very much. Just seeing what this one is all about. You won't hear me whine if it turns out to be junk (other than to warn others off), not for just over ten bucks shipped. It's all part of the hobby.;)

When I am dead and gone, somebody is going to really shake their head when they go through my junque collection.:lol:

Ed6698

I have a couple of RH77's and like them very much. Just seeing what this one is all about. You won't hear me whine if it turns out to be junk (other than to warn others off), not for just over ten bucks shipped. It's all part of the hobby.;)

When I am dead and gone, somebody is going to really shake their head when they go through my junque collection.:lol:

Ok no problem, just figured I would put it out there. The cheapo antenna I got looks virtually the same as a Diamond. However the BNC connector has quite of bit of slop when connected to radio. I won't use it as I don't want it breaking the BNC connection inside the radio due to it being so loose of a connection. Just looking at it by eye it looks fine, but it does not fit like the Diamond.

Attachments

• antenna.JPG
    antenna.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,149

DJ11DLN

Ok no problem, just figured I would put it out there. The cheapo antenna I got looks virtually the same as a Diamond. However the BNC connector has quite of bit of slop when connected to radio. I won't use it as I don't want it breaking the BNC connection inside the radio due to it being so loose of a connection. Just looking at it by eye it looks fine, but it does not fit like the Diamond.
Received my "el cheapo" antennas Monday. Paid for two, the package contained three, so I'm one point ahead out of the gate.

And after playing with them for a couple of days, they seem to be fully equal in performance to my RH77's. RX only, I haven't and probably won't try to transmit on them...but they receive very well, seem well made, and the connectors are tight as they are supposed to be. If I have any gripes it would be that they are almost too flexible, but then that's what they're supposed to do. Overall, I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.