Good keyboard-to-keyboard mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing around with digital, and have made some contacts with FT8 and the WSJT software, but I'm wondering what modes are similar, but more conversational? From what I've read, it sounds like FT8 has killed off a lot of the other modes. FT8 is fun for making distant QSOs, but I kind of feel like I'm just interacting with a computer, rather than actually talking (typing) to someone.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I've been playing around with digital, and have made some contacts with FT8 and the WSJT software, but I'm wondering what modes are similar, but more conversational? From what I've read, it sounds like FT8 has killed off a lot of the other modes. FT8 is fun for making distant QSOs, but I kind of feel like I'm just interacting with a computer, rather than actually talking (typing) to someone.
JS8call maybe? I don't know if there are any specific frequencies to listen on though.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @SpaceForceCmdr and welcome to the digital keyboard to keyboard world of communications. Using FLDigi or a similar software, check out RTTY, PSK, Olivia and a few other modes that allow for typed conversation exchanges. What I would suggest is to Google each of the program’s modes and seek out YouTube videos on how to use each mode. And don’t give up on SSB. That is a lot of fun too once you get the hang of it.

73, Dave K4EET

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A long time favorite is RTTY, but PSK31 is faster/better. I can type faster than PSK31 can send and I quite enjoyed it for conversations.

My guess is that the lack of typing skill pushed many to FT8.

Hi @SpaceForceCmdr and welcome to the digital keyboard to keyboard world of communications. Using FLDigi or a similar software, check out RTTY, PSK, Olivia and a few other modes that allow for typed conversation exchanges. What I would suggest is to Google each of the program’s modes and seek out YouTube videos on how to use each mode. And don’t give up on SSB. That is a lot of fun too once you get the hang of it.

73, Dave K4EET

Thanks, I will check that out as well. I'm definitely not giving up on SSB. I've had better luck with it lately. After work, I turned the radio on just planning to see if I could set JS8, and I briefly tuned to 20m. Heard a guy calling CQ, so I answered. Got a nice QSO from Slovenia. 58 with 50W.:)

K4EET

Chaplain
Do you happen to know what rig I should select in the dropdown menu in the JS8Call software? Surprisingly, the FTDX10 isn't show. There is a 101, though.
The best place to ask questions like that is on the JS8Call discussion list at Groups.io which can be found at:

I just picked the FTDX101 and it seems to work. However, I'm on 20m right now, and the waterfall is empty.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
As you are now using FT8 (WSJT-X) and various PSK modes (FLDIGI) don't forget to take a look at Display Reception Reports after you've made a few CQs or QSOs. Put your callsign in to see where you're being heard. Then switch bands, retune, and do it again. Then wash, rinse, and repeat at a different time of the day. This will help you determine not only where you are being heard, but also what bands your antenna is working with best at that time of day.

Anyone else using this? From what I read online, some people seem to be hating on it because it's not open source, but TBH, it does look pretty cool. Sounds like the user base is a good size, and growing. I'll have to check it out.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I've been using Vara for Winlink connections on HF and I've made a few contacts using VarAC. I think Vara is pretty slick. It's more efficient than Winmor, which was previously used for Winlink, and you don't need a single-sourced PACTOR modem. As for VarAC, it's a very good keyboard-to-keyboard mode, in my opinion, and the developer has been very active with bringing in new features and options. Frankly, I wasn't aware of people "hating" on VarAC, but I generally stay away from places that abound with negativity.

You'll still hear some activity in the PSK watering holes, but that has really dwindled. Olivia is very popular in traffic nets.

Cool, I'm just getting into all these digital modes, so I'll have to experiment a bit. I like the software for JS8 (nice, clean interface), but haven't seen a whole lot of activity yet, at least not on 20m. Actually just made a QSO on there now. I was talking to a guy for a few minutes on VarAC last night. It's neat. Reminds me of the internet chat rooms from the 90s, except 1 on 1.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Right now, you seem to be drinking from a fire hose. I suggest focusing on one band and one mode as you build up your experience and understanding.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I like Olivia for long conversations. It works even if you can't hear the signal. Really robust.

Status
Not open for further replies.