• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

good luck, bad luck............

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldcb

been quite a while since last posting here, i'm still pretty much a novice on the cb seen even though i've been around it for a long time, but never too deeply, i know the basics and that the antenna is key to a good radio, i had done my best? last year at getting my swr's as low as possible on both my base's and in my mobiles, i recently tried an old center load, that i never intended to use, on my truck a few days ago, and was shocked to get such a low reading, nearly a flat 1 all the way across, i couldn't get any better than a 1.8 with all the antenna's i tried before (wilson 1000, 5000 and a few others), no change in it's location, so i'm pleased there. Now for my one base, i just disconnected my home-brew 1/4 wave that has worked very well with readings at 1.1-1.2 , but wanted to try an a-99 that had an extra one of, made a new mast assy., mounted it up with the same cable that was connected to the 1/4 wave, now i cant get better than a 2., not sure what's up, may just go back to my 1/4 wave..............arrrrg, now i remember why i stopped when/where i was last year..............

so here's a question.........once you've got your swr's as low as possible, will changing the height of the antenna change the swr reading?

Last edited:

Oldme

It is my understanding that with the A99 the first 9 feet of coax is used as the
antenna counterpoise. If it is not straight there are problems.
Also height seems to help the A99 as does good grounding of the mast.

I have been searching information on these for a while as I am looking
into the another base.

Some say all fiberglass bleeds. I disagree.
Having base antennas and helping friends back into late 1960s,
several with the original Big Stick, I have found that good coax and
proper grounding it the key.

Hope you get your install worked out.
All are different.

oldcb

yep, i know all new installs take time, but was hoping for a little better, i'll be back at it again soon to try to get better results, kinda wanted to do it now as there's a local ham fest a week from this sunday, should be able to pick up what i feel i need at a little better pricing there............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.