• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good mobile external speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9gunner

What is a good external speaker for a uniden scanner that will offer good quality, and be loud enough to hear over a siren?

drew6553

k9gunner said:
What is a good external speaker for a uniden scanner that will offer good quality, and be loud enough to hear over a siren?
well why cant you run the scanner throught the radio relay of the siren box its the pa settign i believe i'm not too sure about it cause only chiefs can run sirens in my state

EDIT:::
Err sorry i thought you mean to broadcast once you got on scene. my apologies. what they following statments said are the right answer

Last edited:

andy404ns

I use the uniden ESP 20. It's a 20 watt external speaker that does not require a power source. When used with Uniden mobile scanners, the sound quality is great and very loud. I can hear clearly with the windows down on the highway. Plus, it comes with its own mounting bracket and a generous length of cord. Price is $20 I think. It's a great option if you're looking for something that does not need to be powered.

DickH

Find a used electronics store or two-way radio shop and get a used Motorola or other make mobile speaker. Some have an amplifier, but you really don't need it.
They are designed for the exact stuff you are listening to. I have 3 and even the oldest - 30 years? will drive you out of the house.
And if the speaker in the case goes bad it's very easy to replace it. Speaker cones tend to dry out and stiffen up over the years.
You can usually get them for $5-$10.

DickH

andy404ns said:
I use the uniden ESP 20. It's a 20 watt external speaker that does not require a power source.

That's impossible. I think you mean it is battery powered, right?
If you mean it's a speaker that can tolerate 20 watts of audio power input, that is immaterial, since the scanner only puts out about 1 watt.

specman

I find location of the speaker to be of equal importance in mobile installations. I have 4 speakers mounted on my overhead console and find that I can hear them well over other noise/sounds even when the volume is at an average level.

I had noticed the efficiency of this design having worked in aircraft cockpits for many years and hearing firsthand how well this works.

andy404ns

firescannerbob said:
DickH was correct. It's just a 20 watt capable stand-alone speaker. There is no amp in it. It does not put out 20 watts...

Congratulations. You'll note that I didnt say anything about that speaker putting out 20 watts with my scanner. I simply stated what it is. And it is a 20 watt external speaker. Furthermore, I stated that I can hear very clearly with the windows down on the highway. So, I actually never said anything about the speaker delivering 20 watts of power when used in conjunction with any scanner. However, what I said is completely true. Thus, what I said is not impossible, as Dick asserted.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Not exaclty, Andy. In your original post, you made a point of how the "20 watt speaker" didn't require a power source. Why point that out unless there was a question of it being amplified? I can't speak for Dick, but I think thats also what he was referring to.
I certainly don't dispute that it works just fine, and sounds great in your car.
In any case, your point may not have been all that clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.