• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good motorola mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackSheepDue

I currently have an xpr7550 which I'm very happy with and I'm toying with the idea of getting a mobile for my car some time this summer. Naturally I'm leaning towards the 5550 but I wanted to get some input from those that know much more than I. I've had a few portables but never a mobile so this is all new to me. I don't use dmr and I have a BCD536hp in the car so it doesn't need to have any fancy capabilities but I'm sure as is the case with portables if I get a newer mobile it will either be p25 or dmr. Finally I can get the 5550 programmed for free so that's another selling point. I'm open to any options though!

Thanks,
Thomas

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I was in the same situation as you. I opted for the XPR5550 to simplify programming. I already had a 5550 in my shack so it was a no brainer. Only one P25 repeater around my area for amateur use so I just use my old XTS3000 for that.

BlackSheepDue

I was in the same situation as you. I opted for the XPR5550 to simplify programming. I already had a 5550 in my shack so it was a no brainer. Only one P25 repeater around my area for amateur use so I just use my old XTS3000 for that.

I'll most likely end up with the 5550 because I know I'll like it. It will be used to public safety conventional vhf so I just wanted to see what else people used. Thanks for the insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N1GTL

Database Admin
I have the XPR7550e and the XPR5550. It really comes down to what you want to hear, or more accurately, what you can legally transmit on. I have the BCD436HP to monitor P25 and I have the DMR enhancement installed so I can hear TRBO systems on that too. Since my job involves installing DMR/TRBO systems, the scanner is a better tool than an XPR radio. The XPR does not offer a way to put in a "wild card" for a talk group. That alone helps in a huge way. You will not regret an XPR5550 purchase as long as you can RX P25 that you want to hear on your scanner.

BlackSheepDue

I have the XPR7550e and the XPR5550. It really comes down to what you want to hear, or more accurately, what you can legally transmit on. I have the BCD436HP to monitor P25 and I have the DMR enhancement installed so I can hear TRBO systems on that too. Since my job involves installing DMR/TRBO systems, the scanner is a better tool than an XPR radio. The XPR does not offer a way to put in a "wild card" for a talk group. That alone helps in a huge way. You will not regret an XPR5550 purchase as long as you can RX P25 that you want to hear on your scanner.

I can only legally transmit on 2 disp frequencies and a dozen tac channels all of which are conventional vhf so the dmr or p25 capability doesn't matter to me but like I said in my original post if you want to buy a radio today you have to get one or the other.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I can only legally transmit on 2 disp frequencies and a dozen tac channels all of which are conventional vhf so the dmr or p25 capability doesn't matter to me but like I said in my original post if you want to buy a radio today you have to get one or the other.

If they ever migrate digital on you there is always the chance what you currently own will not be the correct radio. Personally, I'm not a fan of Kenwood radios, but they do have a model which can be upgraded to include both DMR and P25.

The nice thing about the XPR4000 and XPR5000 mobiles, the programming cables are cheap and easy to build (~$8). XTL and APX cables aren't as easy to build due to the extra cost of the accessory connector.

That's the downside. I was hoping there would be a mass exodus to Capacity Max before I saw the pricing (since it was on a Tier III basis). Simoco has monitor and has a very well working Tier III product line but of course, most of the DMR air time systems in the US currently are either Capacity Plus or Connect Plus.

BlackSheepDue

If they ever migrate digital on you there is always the chance what you currently own will not be the correct radio. Personally, I'm not a fan of Kenwood radios, but they do have a model which can be upgraded to include both DMR and P25.

The nice thing about the XPR4000 and XPR5000 mobiles, the programming cables are cheap and easy to build (~$8). XTL and APX cables aren't as easy to build due to the extra cost of the accessory connector.

I'm glad you mentioned the cable. My capt(and good friend) programs my 7550 but I don't think he has the cable for a 5550. They use the same cps though right?

If anything goes digital around me it will most likely go p25 but I'm completely lost when it comes to p25 mobiles and if they're anything like the portables they're more than I want to spend. My father has an apx6500 so I don't think I would have to pay to get an apx series programmed either.

Can anyone shed some insight as to what my apx options are?

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
If you have a 7550 the 5550 is the best step towards a mobile... especially if they are in the same band. I do the same for mine and it lets me set up the codeplug on my 5550 perfectly and then drag-and-drop everything into my 7550 codeplug and write it over to the radio. The bluetooth also makes life MUCH easier in the end where I can program both radios without pulling out a single cable.

I would opt for the DMR radios in the end, especially in your area, because if you are already on VHF then when you get a ham license you can just add the DMR repeaters in and have some fun.

N1GTL

Database Admin
My capt(and good friend) programs my 7550 but I don't think he has the cable for a 5550. They use the same cps though right?

Yes, same CPS... You can make a cable for next to nothing. Take any USB A to B cable and cut the "B" end off. Use the 26 pin connector that the 5550 comes with and install the green, white, red and black wires in pins 1, 2, 3, and 4, in that order. Program the radio from the rear connector.

N4KVE

Yes, same CPS... You can make a cable for next to nothing. Take any USB A to B cable and cut the "B" end off. Use the 26 pin connector that the 5550 comes with and install the green, white, red and black wires in pins 1, 2, 3, and 4, in that order. Program the radio from the rear connector.
I made my cable this way. Works great. I also added wires for the speaker, & ign sense to the same plug. This way the cable is plugged in 24/7. Right now, clean used XPR4550 mobiles are going for $300. I actually prefer the 4550 to the 5550.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
I made my cable this way. Works great. I also added wires for the speaker, & ign sense to the same plug. This way the cable is plugged in 24/7. Right now, clean used XPR4550 mobiles are going for $300. I actually prefer the 4550 to the 5550.

Gary that's a great idea. I am taking that idea for my XPR mobile. I am already doing the same configuration for my Astro Spectra.

Status
Not open for further replies.