Good multi. freq antenna for outdoors/attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_k

I'm new to the scanning hobby and it's growing an interest. However, now I'm seeking more range and more clarity. I'd like to rid the stock rubber duck antenna and get something more sensitive.

I'm doing a lot of listening on 800mhz for municipalities (60%) and the rest of my listening happens 50mhz-400mhz. Any suggestions on an antenna which would accommodate these frequencies well?

If anyone has links to reputable online antenna dealers who can sell and ship Fedex/UPS and have good payment processing gets bonus points!

Last edited:

af5rn

No worries, Bro. We all live and learn. There's a lot of good info already here on this page, as you are asking pretty much the same question that every third person asks. Basically, if you have a big attic, go crazy. If not, get a band-specific mobile antenna and mount it on the metal air conditioner unit.

Outdoors, the possibilities are unlimited. ScannerMaster.com is the standard, with good selection and fast, reliable shipping. Although, there are plenty of other good, reputable dealers who you will find recommended here. Unfortunately, there's really nobody in the West Metroplex who handles any of this except for Radio Shack, and most of them are clueless about scanners. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.