Good Old LAPD Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonya

Premium Subscriber
Saw a good movie the other night on Tuner Classic Movies that I think alot of the folks in this forum would enjoy. It was called He Walked By Night. Takes place in LA in 1948 and is basically about a crook who monitors LAPD calls. Movie opens in the LAPD dispatch room. Also Jack Web is in the film. TCM usally repeats its films every so often so you might want to look for it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

I've seen that movie several times, pretty easy since I was born a year after it's release. (;->) Yup, that's a young Richard Baseheart of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea fame (the TV series, not the movie starring Walter Pigeon) a radio tech and he did listen to the LAPD to keep one step ahead of them. I almost expected Jack Webb to say "The facts m'am, only the facts." at any moment looking up from his microscope. Oh, I just loved that antique console TV with the CRT removed masquerading as a projector, the defection yoke isn't quite a lens. (;->)

Just some interesting notes, how many times have you seen the LA County courthouse in the movies and on TV? Plenty I suppose but what does a New York based production company do for footage when they can't draw on stock or send a crew to LA to shoot a scene? They simply shoot in front of 2 Broad Street in Elizabeth New Jersey, the Union County courthouse tower and main entrance are identical. Only the jail on the Rahway Avenue side and the Firemen's Exempt memorial on the lawn are different so only the locals will spot the discrepancies. Oh, did you know they often shoot The Sopranos in Asbury Park and the house in The Ametyville Horror is in Bayville? That body of water in the boat house scene is the Toms River Inlet, there isn't so much as a lake in Ametyville Long Island and the town council refused permission to shoot there. Oh, it's not only a different house but the archetecture is entirely different as well, leave it to Hollywood for pulling the wool and slinging the bull.

Lou, careful when you keep an eye out, you may not get it back in again.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I drag this thread back up to comment that this movie was on last night/early this morning on TCM, this time I set up the DVD recorder to capture it. I watched it a little while ago and thought that indeed it is a classic "police story" with elements of communications, forensic science and just plain detective work. A pretty good (based on truth) story and I would recommend it for a look see if you have the opportunity.

Last edited:

WA4MJF

I always thought Richard Basehart was famous for playing krautheads on COMBAT!, when
they had a major role with an American speaking krauthead. Eric Braden did some
non-major American speaking roles, FWIW.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
China Town

I like movies about Los Angeles. I don't see it scheduled again at least through the end of May (May 31).

Another good movie about Los Angeles (mainly the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, with some LAPD) is Chinatown, with Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. It is based on a true story about how Mulholland (ie. Muholland Drive), the founder of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, was murdered and how the "powers to be" used water to control land values in the San Fernando Valley. Remember to replace the character "Hollis I. Mulwray" with William Mulholland. This movie caused some controversy with the Mulholland family. It's sequel is The Two Jakes - haven't seen this so I am not sure about it. I can't remember any radio subject matter.

34m.jpg
th-5435_0127.jpg
th-5435_0124.jpg
th-5435_0119.jpg
th-5435_0118.jpg
th-5435_0002.jpg

chinatown_37.JPG
chinatown.jpg
d.jpg

chinatown_ver2.jpg

Last edited:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Dragnet

I liked it, and the series.

dragnet_xx.JPG
dragnet.jpg
dragnet.jpg
dragnet.jpg

dragnet_title.jpg

dragnet.jpg
dragnet.jpg

"This is the city. Los Angeles, California. I work here. I carry a badge. My name's Friday. The story you are about to see is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent. "

"Just the facts, Ma'am."

The 1987 version was good (funny), too.

dragnet.jpg

james32746

Premium Subscriber
loumaag said:
I will have to keep an eye out for it myself. TCM does not have it currently scheduled though. :(

It will be shown again but unfortunately you will have to wait til' Sat, Nov 24, 2007 8:30 AM EST (according to the link to the TCM page) to see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.