• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good or Bad: Switching Power via External Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TennFordTN

Let me preface this post by saying that I am still a noob, and have much to learn and would love for some of you to bestow some knowledge with me.
So I can never get a straight answer in person from some buddies that are electrical geniuses. I am doing a very, very small budget build in my truck with a few radios, key word: budget, because I'm a college kid with not a lot of money.
Either way, if I were to wire all my radios individually to separate external switches in a switch panel (like on a faceplate for a patrol car) and leave the radios power switch on, could I safely power my radios on/off from the external switch without doing any damage to the equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redryderadio

Premium Subscriber
Switching Power via External Switch

*Except for the Uniden BCD536HP,* absolutely yes. Have done it often and still do.

The BCD536 has its own set of well-publicized caveats, one of which is that cutting DC
without first turning off the power switch will not allow the micro SD card to be written
(housekeeping). AFAIK, this is the only current scanner to which this warning applies.

Have fun--and please post pictures when your installation is complete!

TennFordTN

Redryderadio, thank you so much for your input. I'm glad to hear that it will work.
Since I'm still in college and funds are limited, my dad and I are going to be building an Emergency Vehicle Center Console out of MDF coated in bed liner, and will use the same faceplates as a patrol car, but will still retain a semi-stock look in my 2005 F-150.
As of right now, my only equipment is a Bearcat 880 CB, Midland Titan 70-1344B VHF, and two external speakers that will all mount with dedicated faceplates. Hopefully it'll turn out pretty good for a budget build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yep. Many patrol cars are set up this way. A device like a Lind Timer Shut Down Timers, Battery Chargers and Laptop Accessories | Lind Electronics
Is used to shut off power to the radios after a set amount of time to protect the batteries.
Some people also just use a master kill switch.

If you are going to be running a couple of radios, consider running a single heavy gauge power feed to your console. Power directly off the battery through a suitable sized fuse. Route that to the console and a fused terminal block. Fuse each radio independently. Use a good body ground close to the radios. Don't tap into existing circuits as this is a really good way to introduce noise into the power feeds.

Good luck!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
For the radios in my truck, I used a 12 volt power relay/solenoid. A new circuit was run from the battery with the relay/solenoid being "triggered" when the ignition is on. All of my radio equipment is on the load side of the relay/solenoid.

This relay/solenoid is effectively a switch and is probably equal to the cost of several switches.

Also, one of my radios is a BCD536HP. Even though the manual says it should not be shut off by disrupting the power, I've yet to experience any issues in the 5-6 months of doing so. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
Something you might want to consider that I found very helpful at times is doing the solenoid route ofd8001 mentioned but adding a double pole switch with a center off position. With the solenoid feed running from the center terminal, switched ignition on one of the on terminals and constant B+ on the other terminal, this allows you to have the radios follow ignition, or be able to leave them on with ignition off and adds the ability to kill everything with the center off if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.