• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good outdoor antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The speaker stand would be good. Just make sure you have some way of keeping it from toppling over if you are on a balcony.

I'm not a fan of anything made by Tram. Cheap Chinese Antennas. And at the higher frequencies, the pattern of the antenna will be problematic. Also, zero gain.

The Larsen is a known good antenna. I've been running Larsen antennas for 30 years now, and a few that are original 30 year old antenna still in use. You can't go wrong with them. Also, that antenna will give you some gain on UHF and 700MHz, which will help with reception.

The Laird base mount will work fine. Only thing you'd need to be concerned about is waterproofing the connection on the underside if you plan on keeping this outside all the time. While N connectors are quite water resistant, you do want to put something on the outside to really make sure. Water in the coax will destroy things quickly.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
per McKenna and others pick up a new roll of scotch 88 electrical tape n a roll of Scotch 2228 mastic tape! Wrap the coax connector and antenna connector with a layer of 88. Then a wrap of 2228, pressed and formed around the connectors..then one more layer later of 88! I’ve done half a dozen antennas in the past month and the thismethod sure looks like it will work well!!!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@sparky5556 - I would option for 25' of LMR-400 or LMR-240UF coaxial cable over RG-58/U considering those higher frequencies you wish to monitor. The LMR-400 is 1/4 of the signal loss and LMR-240UF is about 1/2 the signal loss compared to RG-58/U. They cost twice as much, but for about $30 more you'll sleep better. ;)

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The Antenna Farm will custom build cables...you can order N on one end, BNC on the other and skip the adapter!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd agree on the LMR-240uf.

LMR-400 is way overkill for 25', plus it's stiff and trying to roll it up and store it if you don't leave this out all the time is going to get annoying. Also, less than 1dB of loss difference between LMR-240 and LMR-400 at 780MHz.

The setup you have will work. RG-58 isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world. Very common to use RG-58 in a mobile installation, but part of that is due to ease of installation and it being 'good enough'. For a set up like yours, you can use a better cable since you are not trying to fish it through a car. It'll cost a bit more, but it's probably worth it unless budget is a concern.
The other benefit is that you can get it made with the correct connectors on each end, which is a good idea. while the N to BNC adapter will work, it's added loss, added stress in the connectors.

jr3792

I am right in Stamford. I hear the fire calls
Yes you might hear the VHF simulcast but the 7/800 Fire ground channels you probaly wont unless your listeing to the trunking system like Cole said or their right next door. Just dont want you chasing a solution you cant really solve. I know I was picking them up off the troop A site in Waterbury not too long ago on a 325P2 but again that was on the trunking system

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yes on the 240uf. I believe it is $45 at Antenna Farm for 25’.

Hmm...I wrote a second paragraph on my last post about the size and stiffness of 400, but I must have not submitted the edit. RG58 will work for HF, but 700/800 MHz can definitely use the help of improved coax. I use 25’ of 240UF with a portable discone setup from time to time. It is a good in between solution.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Rather than the coax adapter, which would be heavy and could damage the antenna connector on the radio, I would opt for a pigtail (one foot to several feet in length - your choice) that effectively converts your antenna coax to a smaller cable that connects directly to your handheld. See the link for an example... get the types of connectors that your situation requires.

sparky5556

Premium Subscriber
anything is better than this....

Attachments

• IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.