• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good suggestion for a Rack Mount 12V power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm looking for some good ideas and suggestions regarding a rack mountable 12V power supply to power radio equipment? Preferably one that has 8 to 10 separate outputs.

Mostly what I see on the market are rack mountable 12V power supplies for CCTV type installations. Would these be appropriate for powering a number of scanners and radio receivers?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Astron has rack mount versions of their power supplies. That and a rack mount fuse or breaker panel would do what you want. I use a an Astron RM-35M and a Hendry fuse panel.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I too vote for Astron. Add up the draw of all your devices and you'll get what size you need..

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
I'll second that

Myself and just about all ham friends, as well as a plethora of emergency management
outfits all use astron. Rugged, reliable, and fairly inexpensive considering what you get.

Generally, all of the large PS's I'm familiar with have only one or two outputs.

So get a large astron, and then some type of DC power outlet. MFJ makes some inexpensive ones
or if you want the neater look you can go with powerpole products. Powerwerx makes some
good stuff here.

JB

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You can get Astrons with the battery backup option and they'll fail over to a 12vdc battery if the AC is lost.
They only have one set of threaded stud output terminals, so either use a seperate power distribution strip, or just fuse each scanner and ring terminal them to the studs on the Astron. I don't think I've ever had 10 on one stud, but at least a few ring terminals under a nut and washer.

w2xq

Mentor
If today's Astron units are as good as my RS-20A and RS-50M purchased c.1980, go for them. Never failed, never reset, on 24/7, can't beat them IMHO.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
Another vote for Astron

Two thumbs up for Astron.
My favorite for decades.
I have four, never had any trouble.

Jim in Pittsburgh

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Astron's switching supplies are damn near bulletproof. I have one on the desk next to me that has been running at abut 80% of its rated continuous capacity 24/7 for the last 2 years with nary an issue. I have it backed up with a Tripp-Lite SmartPro SMART2200 UPS and during the last prolonged blackout it held the Astron up at that same 80% capacity for just a little shy of 90 minutes. Of course a 12V battery charge/cutover would be optimal but the UPS was just laying around not doing anything.

I'm not personally a big fan of RigRunners, Powerpoles, or any of the "preferred" ham-grade solutions for power distribution. All of my fixed installs run on Buss ATC fuse panels with ground blocks cascaded up to whatever number I need.
3cOco.jpg

N9JIG

Sheriff
I used Astrons for years but they created a great deal of heat and I have had one or two develop a hum after a few years. I have had others that ran for 15 years or more with no problems.

I currently run a Samlex 35 amp switching supply. A fifth the size of the RS35 and little to no heat. Some people say they get interference from switching supplies but I have had no issues in the year or two I have used it.

I also use PowerPoles with a RigRunner fuse panel. This makes it easy to add or relocate radios and accessories and fuse different devices separately.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I ended up sticking with my current 12V regulated power supply (very similar to the Astron RS-70A) and purchased a Rigrunner distribution panel. I also sprung for the powerpole kits and crimper, and after getting everything properly connected I've got to say I'm impressed.

I also managed to get rid of almost 10+ wall warts which is really nice :)

i'll get a pic of the setup posted soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.