Goodbye Uniden? Simulcast Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Some here swear up and down that their 436/536/996P2/325P2 works as well as on their local simulcast system. I have proven with two different users who are also friends of mine, that the "silence" is actually missed transmissions. Side-by-side comparison of my SDS100 proved my point. As a result, they are now happy SDS100 owners which I programmed for them.

It all boils down to this, if you live in an area where no trunking systems exist, the older Uniden scanners will be ok. If you live in an area where their is a "possibility" of a digital system coming on line in the future, go with an SDS scanner. When I get asked which scanner to buy, I recommend spending a little extra money now so you don't have to sell one to get the other.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Exactly, don't suffer with a scanner that suffers simulcast issues, sell it and upgrade.

Use a coat hangar/ buy a beam antenna/ move it to a different side of the room/turn the squelch to 0/change the digital threshold/ take it for a ride to the nearest tower...the list of suggestions is endless. I know...my cousins brother wife's sister said to buy this "less expensive scanner, because it's digital". Buy the right scanner for the right system and don't raise your heart rate and blood pressure due to frustration.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
You guys have hit the nail right on the head. There were many good people here with suggestions, but I am not able to put a lot of time into research. Like you've all said.... buy a SDS and be done with it. Well mine will be here tomorrow, and I truly appreciate everyone's replies here. Greg

Bob1955

And the same applies to you about receiving simulcast systems in Washington County, MD, Franklin County, PA, etc,. And on those systems, the 996, 436, 536, etc choke big time. Total silence in some places, and broken/garbled traffic elsewhere.

Here's a link to a comparison between the 436 and SDS100 on the Washington County simulcast system. Both scanners connected to the same antenna through a splitter, recording started and stopped at the same time, etc. Look at the total amount of traffic received, and listen to the quality difference. The 996 does no better than the 436 at that location on that system.

jonweinke,
Thanks for your message but for the price I paid, this works for me. I'll never lose much selling this BCD-996P2 to a fire department or to anyone else which is my side-line business.
Have a great day.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
You guys have hit the nail right on the head. There were many good people here with suggestions, but I am not able to put a lot of time into research. Like you've all said.... buy a SDS and be done with it. Well mine will be here tomorrow, and I truly appreciate everyone's replies here. Greg

You'll be much happier once you learn all the tricks and trades...which are also plentiful here. "If" you seem to have issues with systems, channels etc., look into the filter and modulation settings. If all sounds good, as Elsa would say..."let it go, let it go"..!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thats a great idea. I'm just not a Walmart fan...I tried hard, even attended a WalMart support group, but nothing. Amazon possibly? I've done business with them almost exclusively for many years. Thank you for the advice. Greg
I'm not sure what being a "fan" means but I've purchased auto accessories, toys, electronics and even their new Motile computer* from Walmart. I've never, ever had a problem. Their prices were very competitive and delivery to my home was usually within 2 days ( and even the next day a couple of times).

*The computer will replace my old Acer Windows 7 computer for radio programming.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I'm not real sure of how to post quotes here, except by accident, lol.

To KK4JUG: I didn't say anything was wrong with Walmart; I just said I'm not a fan. For department stores here I'm a Target fan. And Amazon is becoming my go-to store for all types of goods, especially higher end. I trust Amazon and have been with them since 2006. They ALWAYS have what I want, and it is here no later than 2 days later. Returns are really easy. FWIW. IMHO. Your milage may vary.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Then it even works MORE in my favor. Thanks, slicerwizard.
Actually, it's the exact opposite. The fact that you live so close to a transmitter means that you're only getting signal from one transmitter, instead of a roughly even mix of signals from two or more transmitters, which is what causes simulcast reception problems. That's why your 996 works so well for you--it's only getting a signal from one transmitter at your location, and you're not actually dealing with simuilcast reception issues. But if you put it in a situation where it's getting a roughly even mix of signals from two or more transmitters on the same frequency, your 996 will choke like a dog on a chicken bone, just like every other scanner not specifically designed to handle simulcast.

The fact that your 996 works for you at your location does not mean that it will work well for anyone else at some other location. Go do some driving with your 996 and a SDS200 connected to the same antenna so they're getting the same signal, and compare what you get from each radio. Listen to the comparison I linked in post #40, and you'll see what I mean.

scannersnstuff

Yes, we know, your 996P2 is the perfect scanner for every occasion as you've posted many times. Except that it's not. It may be perfect for what you're listening to, but it comes up short along with nearly all other scanners when it comes to linear simulcast modulation (LSM) and QPSK modulation used with digital simulcast trunked systems. New Rochelle's simulcast is conventional, and is not the same as the trunked modulations we're talking about that give scanners trouble. The SDS series was designed with LSM/QPSK specifically in mind.

Although I do not own the 996p2, discussion here in the past, indicated several unhappy user's of the radio on the NJ njics system.

Bob1955

Actually, it's the exact opposite. The fact that you live so close to a transmitter means that you're only getting signal from one transmitter, instead of a roughly even mix of signals from two or more transmitters, which is what causes simulcast reception problems. That's why your 996 works so well for you--it's only getting a signal from one transmitter at your location, and you're not actually dealing with simuilcast reception issues. But if you put it in a situation where it's getting a roughly even mix of signals from two or more transmitters on the same frequency, your 996 will choke like a dog on a chicken bone, just like every other scanner not specifically designed to handle simulcast.

The fact that your 996 works for you at your location does not mean that it will work well for anyone else at some other location. Go do some driving with your 996 and a SDS200 connected to the same antenna so they're getting the same signal, and compare what you get from each radio. Listen to the comparison I linked in post #40, and you'll see what I mean.
jonwienke,
I'm sure there must be a difference between a $349 scanner vs. a $700 scanner but NOT everyone needs or is willing to justify that amount of money. I'm never going to drive around with this in my SUV anyhow, even though I hold a valid ham radio license. For this price-point, it does a GREAT job. And secondly, MOST of this area is analog and I have not heard good things on the SDS-200 with those signals and also the hum issue too. I would never deal with that on a $700 product nor pull it apart for a modification either.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
The Bearcat BCD-996P2 that I own is great on ALL analog and digital, even on New Rochelle, NY Police that is simulcasted... I cannot justify spending $699.95 on a scanner with a color screen. It is an OVER-KILL in my mind.
I have been into this hobby and know it "PROBABLY" more than you for this area. If I leave this BCD-996P2(used to work for NRPD) on hold, I get "ALL" traffic and it is crystal CLEAR too.

I suggest you stop giving people advice, that's wrong, and then yell and get all upset if they don't agree with you. You don't know about everything and every frequency. Your 996P2 might be working well for you and your situation. It works for me in my situation. We get that, You only mention it every post. As you have stated multiple times before, you won't buy an SDSx00 because you seem like there is no use for it. I got news for you pal, the rest of the US does not have the same exact situation and Infrastructure as Westchester. In other areas in the US, an SDSx00 is a very powerful scanner, Just not quite in NY Yet. You are nothing but a fountain of misinformation. This topic was clearly not directed at you but you have made it seem that way. You are on here saying how great the 996P2 is well if someone says they like ___ scanner better, you get all mad and butt hurt over it because they disagree with you.

In other news, I also find it very funny that a few months ago you said this when you thought Greenburg went Encrypted when it didn't:
This is why I won't purchase a "DIGITAL" scanner. I won't spend all that money for a HEAVY paperweight.
Well guess what you have a 996P2 now, and you are selling it to literally everyone on radio reference like it is the best thing ever, well in a few years time you will come to realize how great an SDSx00 is and sell that thing like it is the greatest thing on earth. Chill out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Weird. I live in Gettysburg, PA area. and I pickup York County, Adams County, Carroll County MD, and Frederick County MD on my BCD436HP without any issues. I even have it in my car when I drive around and can pickup alot of things with it.

I expect the fact that you're in a county adjacent to most of those counties and thus are far enough away that simulcast issues don't have any impact on your reception of them is helping you. I live adjacent to Franklin County, Ohio (which is loaded with simulcast) and have very little trouble with any of my pre-SDS scanners. If the wind blows the right way I might occasionally have a problem, but it's rare.

I suspect for Adams County flawless reception while actually in the county would be luck of the draw.

SCOTTER

I had all but given up on my 436 when they went to a 9 tower simulcast system in my county. As a last hope I bought a $20 18 inch yagi looking antenna and walked around the living room with it trying to get some reception when I started getting some results. Long story short I was able to mount it in the corner of my living room on a swivel and it went from a 40% decode to 98% and I would put up my 436 against any SDS for decode. Doing this saved me over $400 that I didnt have and still dont and saved my 40 year scanning hobby.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I had all but given up on my 436 when they went to a 9 tower simulcast system in my county. As a last hope I bought a $20 18 inch yagi looking antenna and walked around the living room with it trying to get some reception when I started getting some results. Long story short I was able to mount it in the corner of my living room on a swivel and it went from a 40% decode to 98% and I would put up my 436 against any SDS for decode. Doing this saved me over $400 that I didnt have and still dont and saved my 40 year scanning hobby.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ...our point exactly. You walked around holding an antenna hoping for reception. Gee. that's a great comparison. I also remember putting copper tape on the battery cover to improve UHF reception. We'll put our SDS scanners sitting on a desk and compare, no need to set up a yagi, tin foil pan with an antenna etc. OP knows what he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.