Goodyear Blimp in Daytona Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadcall

I've seen the Goodyear Blimp a couple of times flying close to my house. I know it's in town for the upcoming 500 race. I have monitored it a few times on 151.625.

alanlungs2

I think lisening to it on aircraft band would be more intresting. A triva question who has the right of way in the air? A 747 or a blimp?

Answer : The blimp
By the way I have riden on The Mayflower call sign N1 A (Novenber One Alpha). And they always announce when they are in the pattern

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I hear them all the time on 151.625, PL is 151.4. They are based in Pompano Beach not too far from me.

The other day I heard them airborne, and they said they were were approaching Ft. Pierce, which is some 90 miles to the north of me.

vinzep491

Who do they communicate with on the 151.625? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to the aircraft monitoring arena.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Who do they communicate with on the 151.625? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to the aircraft monitoring arena.

They use 151.625 to communicate with their ground crews, and the ground crews also use it among themselves, IOW, for company business communications. The blimp also uses the VHF aircraft band when needed for air traffic control, and to communicate with various ATC towers.

vinzep491

They use 151.625 to communicate with their ground crews, and the ground crews also use it among themselves, IOW, for company business communications. The blimp also uses the VHF aircraft band when needed for air traffic control, and to communicate with various ATC towers.

Thanks for the info.

shadcall

I think lisening to it on aircraft band would be more intresting. A triva question who has the right of way in the air? A 747 or a blimp?

Answer : The blimp
By the way I have riden on The Mayflower call sign N1 A (Novenber One Alpha). And they always announce when they are in the pattern

I agree. I have a number of air frequencies programmed on my Pro 164. I am able to hear both sides of the conversation from Daytona Beach International. I hear one side from Orlando International and I also listen to Miami and Jacksonville Centers.

alanlungs2

Blimps call sign

I just saw a picture of the goodyear blimp at Daytona the call sign is N 3 A. Its name is "the Spirit of Innovation" My ride was in the 1970's Mayflower has since been decomissioned. There also the Directv blimp in the area I don't know their callsign.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.