Goodyear Blimp - US Open 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hearing the Goodyear Blimp on 132.0 Mhz AM. So far it's been limited conversations. They seem to do status checks every so often.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I don't usually take radios to the Golf Tournaments or Ball games but sometimes it pays to listen to the blimps. I had a small scanner at the 1989 PGA at Kemper Lakes in Long Grove IL with me wearing a side fanny pack so nobody could see it. Had the long earphone with it and got it in because I was with my relative in the media covering the event. We got to come through a special parking lot and no bag checks. I found the blimp freqs talking to the ground units late in the day Saturday before Payne Stewart won it over Mike Reid's collapse on Sunday. The blimp said "We're getting outta here, you should see the storm coming!" Ground support told them, "This radar is insane!! good luck!" ....the Blimp bugged out and I found my Dad and brother and we tried getting into the Big Pavilion TENT the size of a Circus tent...sorry, VIP's only. F-U!! we ran and hid under the wooden scoreboard with all the hand-drawn scores of the day on it. THAT was bolted to the ground and had a 4 foot tall slot behind it to crawl under. There were 6 people under there already. All hell broke loose about 8 minutes later, 75-80 mph winds and huge lightning/hail hit. Scanners listening to the blimp saved the day. We were hoping that Pavilion tent would collapse on the guy who told us to go away. Watching the last group on TV right now for the US Open out there where you are. That's the advantage of having it on the far NW coast. It's 9:30pm here and they're just finishing up. Should be a good finish for Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.