Goodyear PD Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what site Goodyear PD uses? I am planning a yagi and a dedicated scanner for them, but am not sure where to aim exactly. I have always found in interesting how reception on this system works....

It comes in almost everywhere in the valley, to some degree....

But it is almost never a really strong signal, unless you are in the heart of Goodyear. Just a bit West it weakens greatly, so I don't think it is on Estrella Mountain, South Mountain, Shaw Butte, etc. If there is a tower mounted on their police station, I can't imagine it would have such a reach as it does across the valley.

Driving down Yuma from Litchfield the other day, I was monitoring them at full signal strength for the first time, but it quickly faded to 2-3 bars after a few miles. This indicates a small low altitude site, yet it comes in in North Phoenix and other distant places that it wouldn't come in if it were something like that.

Ideas?

thedad

I think Goodyear PD has a transmitter on White Tanks. They had a proposal to set up a city wide digital system about a year ago and some towers were approved, but have not heard they have implemented it yet. Does anyone have any more current info?

Quint6

Goodyear Police comes in clear from Power Rd & Pecos Rd in Gilbert
so maybe it's coming off the Estrella's

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Goodyear Police comes in clear from Power Rd & Pecos Rd in Gilbert
so maybe it's coming off the Estrella's

Exactly what I always thought, but although you can get five bars in the heart of Goodyear, then drive a few miles west to Buckeye where I live (still with in relatively the same range from the Estrellas) and the signal drops off a great deal. For reference I can see the Estrellas transmitter site on a clear day from my second floor window, and DPS West 460.3 which comes from that site is a solid 5 bars no matter what while Goodyear comes in at 2-3 bars. Now I realize that 460 mhz propagates better than 800 mhz but still I don't think Goodyear would be that weak when it is in site like that.

What you say mirrors my experience, which is that Goodyear can be heard almost anywhere in the valley, yet a few miles outside of Goodyear the signal is marginal. It's just odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.