Google KML for DTRS sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have or know how to get a KML file of all the DTRS sites? I'm working on a way to get a better idea about what towers you can try to listen to depending on your location in the state. I am much better at having all the info presented visually where I can look around, zoom in and out and not have to tediously go through the database to find what towers I might have a chance of pulling in from where ever I might be in Colorado. It'll probably be a few weeks before I finish it, especially if I have to manually enter all the data. Thanks for any help.

Craig

w2xq

Mentor
Why not take the transmitter lat/long from the RR db or FCC ULS database, find the location with Google Earth and drop a marker atop the tower? Save the Google Earth datafile, and there is your KML file. If you opt for an interim step of using a spreadsheet and need help with spreadsheet formulas parsing the lat/long into decimal degrees let me know. HTH.

kd7lxl

Here you go. You'll have to rename it because RR required .txt.

It took about 5 minutes to write the program to do this. Let me know if you want kml for any other systems; all I need is the RR SystemId.

Attachments

• co_dtrs.kml.txt
    40.4 KB · Views: 239

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the file. It doesn't seem to want to work in Earth, even after renaming it, or loading it directly inside Earth. Could you email it to me as a KML? cmbulk-at-gmail.com
I'm going to overlay a radius around each tower site to get an idea of which ones would be good to listen to given any location in the state.

kd7lxl

I'm going to overlay a radius around each tower site to get an idea of which ones would be good to listen to given any location in the state.
How do you define a radius plot with kml? I can add that to my program and generate a new file.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Jeffrey. I've taken a look at those in the past. Some pretty slick info there. I'm pretty familiar with the metro area coverage sites. What I was looking to do was get an idea when I'm at various places in the state, what towers I might want to try to listen for with minimal digging through the database. I'm in the process of adding Site ID's and CC freqs to the notes section of the sites in the KML file that KD7LXL sent me.

Try this link from wiki

Individual CO DTRS Sites - The RadioReference Wiki

Storm chaser mapped coverages for the front range sites Last Year when Him and I did all the county wiki work.
Mostly ignored.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
How do you define a radius plot with kml? I can add that to my program and generate a new file.

Sorry I didn't respond to you earlier. I thought you were talking to someone else for some reason. Anyway,
I'm using a website that exports the info you enter to a KML file. You have to manually enter the coords, so it's a lot of work. Radius Around a Point on a Map

What I'm finding is that even with a radius around the sites of as little as 10 miles, in densely covered areas, the radius info is essentially useless as there is so much overlap. So I'm thinking about abandoning the radius overlay since I can get distance info straight from Google Earth.

nathancarlson

honestly, the plot charts that were done and are in the Wiki are much more accurate (in my experience), and greatly appreciated. They took into consideration the terrain, ect, not just a radius. In fact, a lot of the agency affiliations to DTRS sites don't make sense looking at a regular map (sites affiliate with far away agencies due to their coverage, and not always the same county they are physically located in), and the plots show how the terrain effects the coverage of the sites. Many of the sites also list agencies likely to affiliate with them in the wiki. Perhaps at some point, we could add the DTRS sties to each county's respective Wiki page to make searching easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.