Google Map of Fleetnet Tower Sites

Should this thread be made a sticky? I've requested, but I've received no response

• This thread should be a sticky

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • This thread sucks

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pkneeyahx

Human
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...d=102816157114842016701.000454473b744a5f5c75e

I got this idea after continuously referring to the fine work this person did with his maps ; http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/Fleetnet/ so I'm giving him inspirational credit.

Most all of the tower sites are pointing to the towns in which they are named, but this is not always the case.

I'm looking to make this map as precise as possible and I would appreciate some feedback on any tower site corrections that stand out. As I make adjustments and fix tower site locations I'll switch the marker to a solid colour without the dot.

Feel free to comment here on this thread, or on the google map page itself. I'll tend to both areas.

Last edited:

imcleish

Whitby - 37 - Zone 1

Great Idea, it allows for search hits, and for people to actually see the sites/surroundings using available technology. I think you can obtain a pretty accurate gps location as well once you see the tower. Hope nobody frowns upon it.

Whitby Tower needs adjustment. The tower is located on the OPP Detachment Property, to the east side of Henry Street just south of the 401(1st north/south west of Brock Street). If you zoom in to the highest level, you can see the tower in red and white along with where the base meets the building on the southern most corner.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I checked out your map.

Lets look at site 24,Dyers Bay.

You have it near Pikes Bay road on the Pen right around the boundary of the township of North Bruce Peninsula and Township of South Bruce Peninsula.

The actual site is a good deal further north squarely on the Georgian side of the peninsula.

You are off by a good 20 Km's at least and I am being generous. Actually Pikes Bay road is probably closer to the actual Wiarton site than Dyers Bay.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteInfo&siteId=7356

pkneeyahx

Human
Dyer's Bay has been adjusted. That is one of the many I had trouble finding last night. I was even googling it up and just had issues figuring out where it was.. I wasn't looking hard enough. ;] Thanks!

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Interesting note here, and I already kind've mentioned this to Adam about this.

The Mt. St. Patrick tower is actually on top of Kennelly Mountain, not in the village of Mt. St. Patrick as it shows on his map. (I'll try to find the co-ordinates to fix it, or atleast put it closer)

But what I did notice is when I click on the tower on rr here, it actually points the tower to being right in Renfrew, which is definitely not the case, and from where I zoomed in on, there's absolutely no towers in the vicinity of it.

So the RR Co-ordinates actually need to be fixed more so than the actual google map that was made.

pkneeyahx

Human
yes.. I noticed RR is as reliable as linking to the town names.. and I did a couple trial runs with TAFL data that was suggested on the EasternOntarioScanning group and came up with similar results. the lat and long for Mt. St. Patrick was located off the 511 near Tatlock road. so.. that's kind of why I'm testing this method of feedback so we can correctly mark specific locations. I want to be as precise as I can.. take a look at the markers I have for the Whitby, Niagara Falls, and Ottawa towers. I want it pointing right at the base of the towers wherever possible. I know it's a stretch.. but I know which collecting our finds and putting it on the map it'll help to work out a good portion of the tower locations. Thanks all!!

LordJ.. Prescott s done.. thanks.

Last edited:

OttawaBob

Premium Subscriber
Great work

Just want to chime in here and say...Nice work!

And it's so nice to see so many contributions/corrections...all wanting to ensure the same accuracy as the map creator.

It's a keeper!

I wonder if any of the OPP/MOH comms folks would be interested in seeing this setup?

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Gotta give you credit. At least you are doing something to help and you are calm and collected when getting a critique.

Thank you.

newtoscanning

I wonder if any of the OPP/MOH comms folks would be interested in seeing this setup?

Let's not tell them...

Is the toronto tower not on top of queens park (or in that vicinity)? I was under the impression that it was?

Where it is right now is surrounded by tall buildings on every four sides...

Otherwise, the map is awesome!

pkneeyahx

Human
I dropped the marker on Queen's Park for now.. but until someone gives me a definate location I'll keep the marker generalized. Thanks for letting me know.

keep in mind when I placed the markers on the town names, according to the site alias, I wasn't in satellite view. I merely dropped it into the centre of the populated area, or on the dot for the town. so, for all the unchecked sites, the marker could be positioned over a car, a house, a playground, a pool, the middle of the road. There are too many sites to get that specific so soon. That's why I'm asking all of you on here to help me fix the tower sites. That way we can collectively have a rockin and accurate finished product.

Until then we still have something good to work with. Keep the updates coming for those of you who can help out with the map. Thanks a lot for your interest and kudos. I didn't expect it. ;]

update: rkorchensky.. Cedarwoods is fixed. Thanks man..

Last edited:

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
Cedarwoods Tower

I believe you are way off base with the Cedarwoods tower.

All information I have says it is on one of the two tall apartment buildings at the intersection of Kingsway Drive and Cedarwoods Crescent in Kitchener.

If you flag that intersection you are within 100 feet.

Ralph VE3EUK

BTW......you are doing a fantastic job.

Status
Not open for further replies.