Goose Creek PD Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocCLB

A long story short....the old Icom IC-R3 that I had from years ago (back when I could watch TV on it), was recently found in my storage building. It had a few receive issues, that I seemed to have fixed, and made it the "new" Jeep radio, in place of the R-20 (a little protective of that one).

Background story over....I caught a transmission late last week (with the R3), I believe it was Thursday or Friday, where the dispatcher stated something about "going to the 800 channel".

Since then, I haven't heard much, if any at all on the VHF (155.6700) GCPD frequency in the days post hearing that transmission, which initially led me to think the poor R3 has faulted again. Picked the Pro-106 to take into the home office tonight, and the thing is lit up on 851.92500. Every transmission I caught was on UHF.

Did they FINALLY make the move to the Palmetto 800?

It also seems that Berkeley County Rescue frequencies are still VHF. Any word on a move to 800?

Edit: WOW...I can't believe this was my first post on this forum. I've been a RR member for years. Had another screen name in 2008, but forgot it when I was overseas.....hahaha.

Last edited:

rescuecomm

It seems that agencies where all of the radio equipment is issued by an city/county/state are more apt to have resources to make the 800 move. Rescue squads and fire departments that large staffs of volunteers buying radios with fundraising dollars may not be able to afford them. The Pal 800 overlords have had a policy of all radios coming on must be capable of digital mode. This have the positive effect of making a future transition almost painless, but also making the radios cost over $2,000.00 each. One of the local towns in upstate SC just made the move back to 453 mhz from the PAL800. I never heard the reason for it, although it was probably financial. (Needing new radios?)

Bob

DocCLB

Exactly. My wife formerly worked for the county. I was told not only by her, but a few others as well, that there were no funds to make the transition.

I just find it odd the past few days, that there is literally no traffic on the VHF frequency I've heard for ten years. However, GCPD traffic seems to be working "status quo" on UHF.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK have we Identified the primary GCPD Dispatch TG yet?

Is it one of these?
20208 4ef A GsCrk PD SpO Goose Creek PD Special Ops/Narcotics Law Tac
20240 4f1 A Goos Crk PD Goose Creek PD Law Tac
20256 4f2 A Goos Crk PD Goose Creek PD Law Tac
20272 4f3 A Goos Crk PD Goose Creek PD Law Tac

Or fall in the couple of gaps?

DocCLB

Definitely 20208. Not sure about the others. They've been programmed in all my trunk capable radios for quite some time, and I've never caught any traffic on any.

Still no VHF traffic today. All UHF.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK update submitted. Brian will prob get it worked in next day or so tops. :)

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Just to make sure I'm clear, when you say "All UHF" you're saying that all traffic you're hearing is on 800MHz, local Palmetto 800 voice frequencies? So, your use of "UHF" means 800MHz?

gorj

I also noticed that Goose Creek transmissions on the 155.67000 went quite after listening for a long time. I have a Radio Shack 2053 scanner and have programmed the 851.92500. I hear
Goose Creek but also hear what I believe is Berkeley County Police. Can I block out the BCP transmissions?
Should I be scanning in FM or Motorola mode?
Thanks for any help.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
851.925 is one of the voice frequencies for the Moncks Corner site of the Palmetto 800 system. So what you're hearing is a small subset of the radio traffic from all agencies that use that site. You're probably hearing some SCHP and Dorchester County communications as well as Berkeley County.

In order to only hear Goose Creek PD transmission, and to hear all of them, you'll need to program the Moncks Corner site as a Motorola Type II system and enter all of the frequencies for that site, #52 in the database. You can find those frequencies, along with the talkgroups, listed on the Palmetto 800 page.

Unfortunately, the PRO-2053 is does not support rebanding, which means your scanner won't properly track site #52. You'll hear some traffic, but you'll miss traffic on 851.9250.

So you're sort of out ot luck with Goose Creek PD with the PRO-2053. Try it and see, it might be tolerable, or not. But you'll be missing some radio traffic for sure.

WGONE968

Premium Subscriber
Goose Creek PD

Yes, it appears the Goose Creek P.D. has finally made the switch to the Palmetto 800. All traffic on Site 52 (Moncks Corner)

20208 Patrol Ch (Primary Dispatch)
20240 Traffic Ch
20256 Have yet to hear any traffic on this talkgroup
20272 Some voice and tone testing only so far.

Confirmed Info submitted to database.
Hope this helps.

DocCLB

I also noticed that Goose Creek transmissions on the 155.67000 went quite after listening for a long time. I have a Radio Shack 2053 scanner and have programmed the 851.92500. I hear
Goose Creek but also hear what I believe is Berkeley County Police. Can I block out the BCP transmissions?
Should I be scanning in FM or Motorola mode?
Thanks for any help.

What I found works well for me in Berkeley County, as well as much of the state, is to dedicate one bank to one agency. To truly realize the potential of this setup, you have to have a radio like a Pro-106 with some sort of storage capability, where you can switch files pertinent to different locations. I found by programming in this manner, it was much easier to to control traffic coming in.

The main V-Scan folder of my Pro-106 reads out:
1: Goose Creek PD
2: Berkeley Sheriff
3: Berkeley Fire / Rescue
4: Summerville
5: Dorchester Sheriff
6: Dorchester EMS
7: N Charleston PD
8: N Charleston Fire
9: Charleston EMS
10: Charleston Co SD
11: Charleston City PD
12: Charleston City FD
13: Charleston Mutual Aid
14: Mt Pleasant
15: "Various things pertinent to my daily drive I wish to listen in on" :)
16-19: Blank
20: SC Highway Patrol

Granted, I don't carry the 106 on monthly drives across the state anymore other than as a backup radio. The way I have my setup with this and the HomePatrol, I can control exactly what I hear, instead of constant traffic across the board.

I do apologize for posting up a voice frequency, and not the talkgroup I was hearning in that initial post.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
can anyone tell me what channel and freq. the goose creek police use.

The frequencies can be found in the System Frequencies table on this page:

Palmetto 800 Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Look for Site #52 Moncks Corner.

The talkgroups, or the actual channels they use, are listed below that in the Berkeley County talkgroup listing.

You'll need a trunk-tracking scanner that supports rebanding to "properly" monitor Goose Creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.