Got a couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocko1978

My bcd436hp when I scan my local police freq. which is p25 I can hear the car to dispatch but not dispatch. It shows link & enc which must be encoded or encrypted. Any way around it anyone knows about? Also anyone know how to use the any like feature as its not in the manual?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If dispatch is encrypted, nothing you can do. It is illegal to decrypt encrypted transmissions (unless you are the system user on a system radio).

rocko1978

If dispatch is encrypted, nothing you can do. It is illegal to decrypt encrypted transmissions (unless you are the system user on a system radio).
Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

gary123

Talking of encryption, Is it legal to listen to the encrypted (no decrypt) signal? I know that there would be no intelligible voice and for most this would be a real pain.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes. Attempting to decrypt it without possessing the proper key is illegal.

gary123

Thank you jonwienke: Actually I dont want to decrypt it or even attempt to decrypt it. I want to hear the encrypted garbage from the speaker.

Specifically what I am doing is searching out sections of the band eg 450-451 and logging all activity. I know there are several encrypted users and the scanner automatically mutes them. I want to hear the active signals encrypted or not. I have a older scanner that does not mute the encrypted signals. My question is is it legal to listen to this encrypted noise?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Actually I dont want to decrypt it or even attempt to decrypt it. I want to hear the encrypted garbage from the speaker.

Listening to the "garbage" is not illegal. The only reason modern scanners mute the "garbage" is that it's unpleasant.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It depends on the type of encryption used. Around my area AES and ADP are used. On AES, the scanner bypasses the channel if activity is detected. In some instances, I can hear "noise" on ADP channels. For me, it is too annoying to tolerate.

gary123

Thank you for the info. I just needed to be sure listening to the noise was ok. it will make logging and tagging services easier.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Only people who can time travel and telekinetically light fires with mind power can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.