Grundig Got a great deal Grundig Satellit 2100 lots of fun!

Grunddiigg

Just acquired this transistor radio and I'm impressed. Everything works (LW, MW, SW) on it and the speaker sounds great. I own newer Chinese Grundigs but this German (Real Grundig) Grundig truly blows me away on the workman ship and quality. Not bad for a radio made in the 70's.

I'm planning on taking some electronics courses down the road shortly so I can get in there and clean it up a little. Right now though it's working great for an old radio.

The FM labeling is messed up some but it doesn't affect operation. I can probably source one to replace it.

Anybody have experience with old German analog Grundigs?

PXL_20230304_200824452_copy_920x690.jpg

PXL_20230304_033136281_copy_942x706.jpg

Dirk_SDR

Awesome! Neat radios. Any pics?
GRUNDIG Satellit 3000_1.jpgGRUNDIG Satellit 3000_2.jpg

What do you plan to do with your new Satellit 2100?
Do you want to restore it?

The channel numbers on the FM scale look strange! I have appended a photo of the sparepart "FM Skala" (part no. 15015-100.1), if you plan to rapair your radio.

Good luck!GRUNDIG Satellit 3000_3.jpg

Grunddiigg

View attachment 137775View attachment 137776

What do you plan to do with your new Satellit 2100?
Do you want to restore it?

The channel numbers on the FM scale look strange! I have appended a photo of the sparepart "FM Skala" (part no. 15015-100.1), if you plan to rapair your radio.

Good luck!View attachment 137778
Yeah, below 90mhz the scale is messed up who knows what happened before I got it. I'll plan on replacing that for sure. Right now I need to take some soldering and circuit courses after that I'll be more confident in jumping in and getting it up to snuff. I'll enjoy it for what it is until then.

All bands work but I'm sure could work better. Some of the lighting looks burned out too so I'll have to address that as well.

Nice looking radio by the way that's a beaut!

Edit: Also I've read these things can last around 6 months on batteries. Right now running it on rechargeable D batteries so we will see!

I would pay somebody to restore it but I don't think those folks really exist anymore and if they do they probably don't want to work on somebody else's rig.

long they last. So far so good!

Last edited:

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
These German radios are very complicated mechanically with spools, gears, pulleys and intricately strung dial cords, which, if you make a mistake with a soldering iron... you're done.
I would find a paid restorer if possible or wait 'till you get lots of experience before you get into the thing.
Find a simple table radio and/or junky multiband radio at a flea market or someplace and practice getting into that first, if you screw up something, no loss and you will have learned from your mistakes.

AND: a great resource: Antique Radio Forums • Index page
I got a ridiculous amount of help with radios I was restoring.

Dirk_SDR

I would pay somebody to restore it but I don't think those folks really exist anymore and if they do they probably don't want to work on somebody else's rig.
Here in Germany at least some spareparts are available, e.g. here:
There are also guys doing repairs. I would have to search, if you want to get it repaired at any price.