Got a Larsen 150/450/800 mobile antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Just came in today so I gave it a test run. I installed it on my mag mount that I was previously using with a dedicated 800 mhz antenna. But I really wanted to be able to monitor vhf and uhf as well. Got an extra Uniden BCD996P2 scanner that I take out sometimes. So I tested out the antenna monitoring the local P25 simulcast system, as well as some conventional business freqs, the local state prison LTR system, some conventional PD & FD, and the Motorola Mass State Police trunked system. I first drove up to the high spot in town, then down to the area near airport, and around Warwick and Cranston. I was surprised how good this small antenna picked up all bands very well. I could hear the security at the Providence Veterans hospital full scale and I was way south of the hospital. I will do more tests in other directions. The best area to receive even tho the elevation is low, is the areas surrounding the state airport. I could pick up everything clearly there. The real high spots dont seem to matter too much with P25. All in all I am loving this little antenna. Definitely worth the money and while a dedicated 800 mhz antenna was working great on P25, this Larsen is also impressive. The Larsen 150/450/800 is the antenna next to the tall whip on rooftop of car.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a quality antenna like that. Been saying it for years….
The taller antenna with coil in middle is an amateur radio antenna I bought back in early to mid 90's! It's been on many vehicles thru the years. It is also a Larsen. When I was active as a ham I used this for a dual band Kenwood. I am diehard Larsen fan.
I was surprised when I drove out to the next town over and parked, the reception using the small Larsen was amazing. When I was using my DPD 800 mhz antenna on the car, that antenna was a dedicated 800 mhz. It worked very well on the P25 system here. Could hear all 4 zones perfectly. Better than at my house on base radio!! The new small Larsen works just as well! And in addition I can also monitor other vhf/uhf bands now!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Had 2 of the tri band antennas on my previous vehicle. Have not drilled holes in my current truck but i kept the Larsen tri band antennas as well as my 800 and UHF antennas in the tool box for future use. Those are great antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.