Got a new PSR-800, Do You have Any Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
So this is my second 800, but I use my first as a traveling radio.(Saves reprogramming my 396's)

I was wondering if the 800 users out there can share some useful tips(no matter how "dumb" they sound) that may help me with the radio, and programming? I'm still trying to get the hang of the GRE/RS way of thinking after using Unidens for nearly 25yrs.

Anyways, thank you for any tips you may share.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply RAC.

Just by playing for a bit I'm a lot more comfortable. I used the 1st one kinda like a newbie would. (When traveling out of state, just using the scanner menus) But this thing ROCKS! It's blowing my Unidens away on our simulcast system. (And that's with just the stock Ant.)

I almost grabbed a HP today too(Can you tell who loves the IRS?), but with X2-TDMA rumors I figured I better not.

I guess I got a little intimidated to do to much with my first one after reading all the problems people were having. (Corrupting SDs, Dying after uploading, Etc...)

Oh-well, back to playing! :D

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
My advice is to just keep it simple at first. I read a lot of posts where I think new users somtimes try to do too much all at once and the next you know, they are on the forums complaining about the radio not working correctly. The thing is that the 800 really does do a lot for such a small radio and programming can get let say, very convoluted. So when I first got mine and downloaded the library, I just programmed a couple of systems (in the radio, not using the computer program) for a couple of scan lists and then just played around with it. I like programming in the radio and can pretty much program a system at a stoplight. After I figured out the controls on the unit, then I started playing around with the computer program and the program is pretty easy as well (or at least I think so). Most users seem to like the 800, some do not but that is just the way it goes with these things. I certainly like mine. Good luck and have fun with it.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your input Brownlab! Ya, I'm definitely taking it slow, kinda teaching myself step by step(Even when I know how to do something) I just need to break myself from "Freescan Thinking" as I've come to call it.

Thanks again!

PS I did find an easy way to transfer my radio id's from Freescan to EZscan(Since I was to dumb to keep a Database/Excel file)

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Electric!

I think 50+views on those vids are me lol :) I started when he only had the unboxing ones up.
I do wish there was a more detailed(or an advanced) vid done on EZscan. I know it's not the hardest program, but I hate feeling like a N00b :) And Omaha, keeps saying "That's outside the scope of this video, and will be included in a later video..." Then I never see anything about it. (Not faulting Omaha, he's gone above and beyond!)

But to anyone who hasn't seen the videos, check them out! Heck, his vids had me pretty comfortable with the 800 before I got my first one.

Thanks again for your reply, and help, Electric! Have a great day!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.