Got a Pro-163 and usb cable connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

Ok, guys and gals, went to radio shack with my coupon and got the new base scanner (sounds great) and the usb cable. Radio works, but Win97 doesn't recognize the radio. It says searching for header, and then times out. What did I do wrong??
TIA,
Larry

DonS

Ok, guys and gals, went to radio shack with my coupon and got the new base scanner (sounds great) and the usb cable. Radio works, but Win97 doesn't recognize the radio. It says searching for header, and then times out. What did I do wrong??
1. You didn't configure Win97 to use the COM port that Windows assigned to the USB cable when you installed the cables drivers, and/or
2. You're not using Win97's "PRO-164/163" items on its "Scanner" menu

N8IAA

1. You didn't configure Win97 to use the COM port that Windows assigned to the USB cable when you installed the cables drivers, and/or
2. You're not using Win97's "PRO-164/163" items on its "Scanner" menu

A big thank you DonS. It wouldn't recognize com 4 in the beginning, but it works now! If I want to run Pro96com on the serial port for my 96, can the older RS cable be left in to do that?
Larry

DonS

A big thank you DonS. It wouldn't recognize com 4 in the beginning, but it works now! If I want to run Pro96com on the serial port for my 96, can the older RS cable be left in to do that?
Shouldn't be a problem, as they'll use different COM ports.

JohnBreen

Pro-163 and ARC300

I have the Pro-163 and the butel arc300 sotware. I just got the RS 20-047 cable.

Do I use the 3 inch cable adapter?

How do I know what port is assigned by by computer and how do I know what port the software and radio need to share?

I start the software and I want to read the data that is programed into the scanner into a file that I can save and use to make other files. I try the butel "read" function and nothing happens - no download. Is this a port problem? How do I set it up to solve the port problem?

Thanks, John (N3JPB)

Highpockets

I have the Pro-163 and the butel arc300 sotware. I just got the RS 20-047 cable.

How do I know what port is assigned by by computer and how do I know what port the software and radio need to share?

I start the software and I want to read the data that is programed into the scanner into a file that I can save and use to make other files. I try the butel "read" function and nothing happens - no download. Is this a port problem? How do I set it up to solve the port problem?

Thanks, John (N3JPB)

Your device manager in your computer should tell you the com port that is assigned to the cable, that is what you set in the software.

N8IAA

NO.

After installing the drivers, go to device manager, click on comm ports. It will tell you what comm port your usb cable is on. Make the change in Win97 under configuration, comm port.

I start the software and I want to read the data that is programed into the scanner into a file that I can save and use to make other files. I try the butel "read" function and nothing happens - no download. Is this a port problem?

Yes.

Thanks, John (N3JPB)

HTH,
Larry

mikey60

Thanks, John (N3JPB)

No, you do not use the 3 inch cable adapter for the Pro-163. Others have given you the information on how to find the port.

Mike

JohnBreen

Thank you for your reply but I still do not know how to solve my problems.

My thought is that before I start creating any ARC300 files I should make sure that my computer (and ARC300) are communicating via the 20-047 cable and the quickest way to check communications is to try to download what is in the Pro-163 to the computer. Having tried a few times I do not get a download of data. My guess is that there is no communication path established and I am trying to find a way to solve that issue.

Any further suggestions?

Thank, John (N3JPB)

Status
Not open for further replies.