• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Got a radio; now the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Depending on what the repeater coverage is in your area. If your repeaters are nearby and in a city enviroment, then a 1/4 wave would work. If you live out in the burbs and the repeaters are a ways away, go with the gain antenna.

It's funny here in the Metro Atlanta area, all of the repeaters are out in the burbs and nothing in the city!

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Thanks -- I'm out in the sticks... and since it's gmrs and we have no repeaters around; i'll go with the higher gain antenna.

Thank you for the advice!

-josh

ermin

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
I've always had good luck with a standard 1/4 wave antenna in the rural areas. Laird makes a good line of decent looking antennas.

WA4VBC

If you are in a rural area, you might consider a 5/8 over a 5/8 wave antenna that will get you 5 db gain. The length will be 33" or so. With any of these types of commercial quality mobile antennas, you will need to cut them to length as they normally come for frequencies of 450 to 470 MHz or so. A SWR meter will be a big help in getting maximum performance. Have fun. KAE5442

Last edited:

jassing

Premium Subscriber
3' is taller than I had hoped for; but 5db gain sounds nice. But I found this antenna that could work (I cannot mount on roof, so no ground plane sounds perfect!)
while looking I saw a laird antenna: Laird Phantom Antenna claims are grand; can't find a real-word review.. but 3db and sub 4" sound (well) unbelievable but it's tempting.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Higher gain isn't alway better. If you start getting into really high gain antennas, the radiation pattern will start working against you.

1/4 wave mobile to 1/4 wave mobile both on truck rooftops I was able to do 14 miles, no repeater, on GMRS. Likely I could have gone further but a mountain got in-between the two of us.

I've used 5/8 wave on GMRS, and didn't really see much improvement over 1/4 wave. I've never use anything higher gain than the 5/8's.

A good radio with a sensitive receiver and a well installed antenna will likely do more than focusing on gain numbers too much. Likely you won't see too much of a difference between antennas unless you are really out on the fringe of coverage. Often the local terrain is a bigger issue than your antenna pattern, power output, etc.

I've got a used Comtelco 5/8 wave antenna sitting in my box of "stuff to get rid of". NMO mount, like new. If you want to try one out, I'll sell it to you cheap. I've got some 1/4 wave UHF antennas also I could toss one in so you can compare.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
3' is taller than I had hoped for; but 5db gain sounds nice. But I found this antenna that could work (I cannot mount on roof, so no ground plane sounds perfect!)
while looking I saw a laird antenna: Laird Phantom Antenna claims are grand; can't find a real-word review.. but 3db and sub 4" sound (well) unbelievable but it's tempting.

You can't mount an antenna on the roof? Why not? And also STAY AWAY from the Phantom antennas.... There is just no substitute for a whip... I am using a 35w Kenwood TK-830 with an NMO mounted 6" whip...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok; read up on the phantom -- that's out -- so since laird seems to have a good rep -- Out of these two choices, which would be better?

3db Roof Mounted 5/8 whip (11")
or
5db Body mounted, 5/8 (assume) over 5/8 (33")

is it a wash ? 3db optimal position vs 5db gain in not optimal ?

thanks.

The 5/8's on the roof top will work better as it will have a cleaner, more unobstructed radiation pattern. Anything short of a center of the roof mount installation will be a compromise. Some locations are just less of a compromise that others. You could do the collinear on the fender, and you may see an improved signal in some directions, but for all around, roof top is better.

I wouldn't get too concerned about this decision. If you install an NMO mount, either permanent, bracket or magnetic mount, you can easily swap antennas later. A 5/8's wave is a good compromise between gain and size. You won't see big differences between antenna designs unless you jump to something directional. For a vertical mobile, the difference between a quarter wave and a high gain collinear likely won't be noticed. I had a 5/8's on my truck a few years back, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between that and a quarter wave. I went back to the quarter wave since it was less of an issue in parking garages.

Status
Not open for further replies.