• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Got another radio, curious as to current draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stites

Hi again, yall!

So I'm doing a little horse trading with the Magnum S3 that has issues, and in the process I've acquired an S380. Very solid radio, only thing holding it back I think is the coax/antennas(cophased coaxes factory installed by Kenworth, dual 4' Francis antennas), and possibly bigger power supply cable.

I say power supply cable because I'm running one from a Cobra 29 Classic, meant for a 4W output radio. I could swing 100 if I wanted, so that has to be a weak link, right? I have a Magnum noise filtering cable for it with bigger wires and a 10-amp fuse. My concern is that 10 amps might still be starving the radio, since there's always a lot more wattage going into one than being put out from it. Assuming power = voltage x current, 14.4V x 10A = 144W. For some reason that sounds a bit too low.

Would I benefit at all from running say, a 15A fuse at the truck's panel(has a dedicated CB circuit on it), and then straight-wire the filter/power cable to it? Or should I stick with 10A?

Stites

It's in a dump truck I'm assigned to. I went ahead and left the 10A fuse block inline and haven't had any real issues yet. Of course, I leave the power level set between 0 and 1 to try and stay legal, so it doesn't draw like it would if I kept it cranked all the way. Only time I really turn it up is if errbody's yapping nonsense and I need to get something important across it all in a hurry, or if I need to reach over the hills or through the trees around here.

n5ims

A fuse will not limit the current that flows through it, it will simply blow if current above that attempts to flow (saving your truck's electrical system from damage). A 10 amp fuse will pass the same current as a 20 amp fuse, but will blow much earlier if the current exceeds the rated values. The kicker is that the wire also has an amp rating and your fuse should be below that value since you really do want the fuse to blow prior to your wire catching fire. Simply changing the fuse out for a larger value will not give you more amps, it just may make it so when you do draw more current than the wire is designed for your truck may catch fire costing thousands than the fuse blowing, costing just a few dollars.

cmdrwill

The factory wiring for CB radios is meant for a 5 watt radio. The actual wire in the factory wiring harness is too small for even most Ham radios. Not to mention the poor ground wire...

Stites

Hence the new power cord. It's actually a Magnum cord as well. I get how the fuse operates and all, it just seems like either Magnum made a super efficient radio, or I'm lousy at math.

I know it's a totally different animal, but my Peavey Ultra 112 tube amp puts out 60W of power to the speaker. But it uses 210W to do it. That's what got me wondering about the size of the fuze.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Unless I know otherwise I always 'assume' a radio is at best 50% efficient. Radio rated at 50w RF would need 100w of DC power. Expect the best and plan for the worst. :D

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.