• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Got me confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

Loading the Baofeng Dm-5r software. When I run it, only show Comport 1 yet when I check device manager, I have com 1,3,4,5. It worked before but not now. Any ideas to what I am missing???

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Are you using the same usb plug or different USB ports every time?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

mm

This could be a windows usb driver update issue,

I had a Uv-82x that did the same thing but I was using CHIRP software and it was traced to windows automatic updates.

I was constantly uninstalling the usb drivers for chirp and reinstalling them until I had enough and I contacted the Chirp programmers.

The chirp programmers, and their help page, suggested changing windows update from auto update to user select update, now I scroll thru all windows updates manually and select those that do not pertain to usb drivers.

After ignoring all usb related windows updates my Chirp issues stopped.

teufler

no using the same usb ports. cables work for other radios using the same usb port. The Wouxun software has the various installed comports. I have auto updates, I can shut that off to see if it makes any difference, but only the Baofeng DM-5r software is giving me a fit. Comports work successfully for my other HT's, other brands, I guess if I knew how to manually update stuff in the radio, I guess this will give me time to learn.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It is probably the software. Maybe it expects the radio to be on and connected when the software starts, or the com port will not be added to the list.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The only COM port that Chirp needs to see is the one the DM-5R is using.

What COM port appears in the Windows device manager when you plug in the radio? If you check the Chirp configuration and that COM port is showing and you still can't access the radio then there is most likely some other communication problem.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Chirp does not support the DM-5R. What are you planning to use the DM-5R for? It's worthless as a DMR radio.

teufler

Don't have any DMR repeaters around here but a radio to support hospital comms in a drill, or supporting the local city at large events, its ideal. Times that some confidential comms are needed and DMR fills the bill. The radio supports analog and it works with a cross band system plus various repeaters. I know Chirp does not support, no problem. It just bugs me that my other radios, have th proper comm port showing in their software, but the DM-5R DOES NOT.

teufler

Problem solved

The DMR softare for the DM-5R, you click the tab for device, them comm port and it says comport 1. No other choices, got choice on the speed but not the comport. Checking device mgr in windows, take a notice of comport, then go back to the DM-5r software, and just type in comX, what ever com port you want, and the software uses that comport. I thought the software had choices available for the comports available. Just type in what you want and the software works.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Don't have any DMR repeaters around here but a radio to support hospital comms in a drill, or supporting the local city at large events, its ideal. Times that some confidential comms are needed and DMR fills the bill.

I'd strongly recommend looking into the MD-2017 when it becomes available. It's a dual-band TYT DMR radio. TYT got DMR right (can TX on a single timeslot) and their encryption is better than Baofeng's (although not unbreakable).

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Try running CPS_5R as an Administrator. If I remember correctly, that did the trick for me.

AdamM312

This could also just be an incident of mistaken port identity .. You may just have to remove the software then try reinstalling it again.. Maybe even also check to see that your code plug is making a good connection. :)

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I was just able to duplicate the problem by first running CPS_5R in standard mode and could only see one comm port. When I re-ran it as an administrator, all of the comm ports showed up. Hopefully, it will work for you.

I forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 7 64bit on a Dell laptop.

Last edited:

teufler

will look at the new TYT dual band, as I have a tyt md 390 already. Its a VHF model that allows me to monitor with. Also most ham repeaters around here are vhf analog so it comes in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.