got my 996 XT finally... now for a bit of Lunacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I posted a similar question once before, but this time with a small twist... I asked once before about using a mobile Antenna inside a house(sacrilege) which one would be better and all that.... I am curious is there anyone using the SP-1300 coupler? I would like to tie a 996 and a 780 together using just the one antenna... I know it's silly, but right now i have no choice.

I have it on pretty good authority that an outside will always work better... but until such time i can make that happen the above set up will have to suffice. What i plan to do is to put my 780 and my newly aquired 996 in one of those desktop scanner towers built for 2 radios(they are supposed to fit) connect my Bnc's to my splitter and then to the antenna. Most of the stuff i listen to PD, FIRE/EMS all have pretty good signal so i dont think i'll have any problems. I Monitor 800 trunked and UHF conventional with some VHF thrown in for good measure I think i might dedicate the 996 the trunked Receiver and the 780 strictly for conventional everything..

if anyone has done this how did it work out for you?

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Nothing silly about the question!
It will work although there will be some loss. You say your intended signals are strong, that should overcome any noticeable loss.
I've done it before and it works. You may run into port to port isolation problem where one radio picks up the others local oscillator but both those radios are pretty well behaved that I doubt you will have many if any problems.

I've used a setup like that in reverse also. I had an 800 MHz antenna and a 150 MHz antenna. I really needed both so I tried using a splitter as a combiner and it ended up working very well.

For your needs though, I think it will be just fine.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Hello there,
thanks for the reply. Just looking over the threads that i should have seen before i posted.. I does look like this is very doable. before i spend a lot more money on a proper coupler i'm going to try the SP-1300. It might be a catv splitter in disguise but i dont know.. if i find out that the performance is lousy i'll get a proper one. I'm going to find the best NMO Antenna i can find then screw it down on a MAG MOUNT and call it a day. Hope i wont need too big of a ground plane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.