Got my BR330T!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I got my BR330T today. So far I haven't done anything but program it. Making a backup file from ARC330 Clone right now.

I hope to get to play with it as the afternoon wears on. I'll try to post some pics on my website later today or Sunday.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I should have went this route to begin with.

tomtefe

You'll love the BR330T. Great companion to the BCD396T...now bring on the BCT-15!

Tom

safetyobc

I got her all programmed up and scanning. I do like it so far.

Can't wait to get the BCT15. I will likely be selling/trading the Pro-2055 once the 15 is in the shack. I might get an Icom R5 in it's place. I have wanted one for a while now.

Or maybe another BCT15 or maybe I'll buy my wife something nice for putting up with me :D

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
Or maybe another BCT15 or maybe I'll buy my wife something nice for putting up with me :D

Good idea! Don't want to put those future scanner funds at risk! ;)

With all the equipment changes you've gone through, I am living vicariously through your scanner habit.

Can't wait to see what you and other folks think about the BCT15; eyeballing one myself.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
I got her all programmed up and scanning. I do like it so far.

Can't wait to get the BCT15. I will likely be selling/trading the Pro-2055 once the 15 is in the shack. I might get an Icom R5 in it's place. I have wanted one for a while now.

Matt,
I really think you should cancel the BCT-15 order to get something for her,really.LOL

safetyobc

tonsoffun said:
Matt,
I really think you should cancel the BCT-15 order to get something for her,really.LOL

Honestly, you are probably right. I am thinking of just selling the 2055 and getting her something or taking her out for a nice date. :)

safetyobc

After a morning of great monitoring, I am sure glad I got the BR330T. The backlight isn't nearly what I expected from having the brightness of the BCD396T. All the photos show a yellow backlight and that is very misleading. I knew from others pics that it wasn't yello, but it is dimmer than I thought it would be.

Other than that one gripe, I really like it because it mirrors my BCD396T. O I do have another gripe. My quick key 0 is not available. :(

But all in all, it is a great scanner and is working well.

matt

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
Honestly, you are probably right. I am thinking of just selling the 2055 and getting her something or taking her out for a nice date. :)

Matt,
Take her on a date for some nice dinner and a movie and suprise her with a nice gift.
When see opens the gift she will love the new BCT-15 :)

safetyobc

tonsoffun said:
Matt,
Take her on a date for some nice dinner and a movie and suprise her with a nice gift.
When see opens the gift she will love the new BCT-15 :)

LOL, that is funny. I would likely get punched in the nose. lol.

Now if she opend up a nice necklace or ring, then she would likely allow me another scanner purchase. lol

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Glad to hear you like the BR330T Matt. I know you were struggling with what model to buy or not to buy. I'm sure you'll love the BCT15, it's sister the 996 is as close to the "Ultimate Scanner" as you can get on the market right now.

safetyobc

Yeah, I actually almost bought the 330 back a couple months ago, but opted for the Radio Shack Pro-97 and Pro-2055. The 97 is a good scanner, but I like the 330 much better.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
Yeah, I actually almost bought the 330 back a couple months ago, but opted for the Radio Shack Pro-97 and Pro-2055. The 97 is a good scanner, but I like the 330 much better.

I'm starting to love my 396 man! The dynamic memory is just wicked compared to banks.
You can basically jam every system around here and still have memory left!
Blows my mind. Time to change everything to Uniden I think.
Take care guys

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ahhh, your transformation is nearly complete.

The 7 stages of Dynamic Memory world view conversion (for those familiar with banked scanners) are:

Confusion :confused:
Frustration :(
Anger :mad:
The "Aha!" Moment :eek:
Understanding :)
Devotion :cool:
Willing Slave :D

Last edited:

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I just love how you can fill one group (256 memories I think) then fill up half of another group, and just link those two under one quick key to make one bank.

Oh by the way, is it just me or does the ARC330 limit you to 200 memories per group?

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
Napalm said:
Oh by the way, is it just me or does the ARC330 limit you to 200 memories per group?
No, it is not you. Trunked Systems have a 200 Channel per Group limit. Conventional System Channels per Group are limited only by remaining memory. It seems ARC has a limitation, while the BR330T or UASD has none.

Dave AKA The Tripzter

safetyobc

UPMan said:
Ahhh, your transformation is nearly complete.

The 7 stages of Dynamic Memory world view conversion (for those familiar with banked scanners) are:

Confusion :confused:
Frustration :(
Anger :mad:
The "Aha!" Moment :eek:
Understanding :)
Devotion :cool:
Willing Slave :D

The force is strong with UPMan Kenobi, lol.

Yep. Nearly there. I knew I should have went with Uniden, but I had to try the dark side first (GRE). lol

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:

You had a very nice review of the Pro-97. I'm a big fan of Uniden and the dynamic memory too. Most of my monitoring is 'on scene' so I'm not too concerned with variation between Pro-xx & Uniden radios.

but I am curious...
How do you compare 396 w. 330 for MilAir?

...and how do you compare 330 w/Pro-97?

safetyobc

b52hbuff said:
You had a very nice review of the Pro-97. I'm a big fan of Uniden and the dynamic memory too. Most of my monitoring is 'on scene' so I'm not too concerned with variation between Pro-xx & Uniden radios.

but I am curious...
How do you compare 396 w. 330 for MilAir?

...and how do you compare 330 w/Pro-97?

I think (from my experiences so far) that the BR330T receives equally as well, if not better due to the lack of overloading, as the Pro-97. Of course, I don't use the stock antennas on either. I use band specific antennas for monitoring (duckie/portable antennas). The Pro-97 seemed to be greatly affected by interference (as does the 2055). Also if I connected the 97 to my Scantenna, it was near useless. The BR330T and Pro-97 seem to have about equal battery life (even thought the 97 uses 4 batteries) In my opinion, the BR330T is the better scanner, however, this is just my opinion and hundreds will argue the opposite. I just like the dynamic memory, and other features offered by the 330. The BR330T costs about $100 more usually, but you are getting much more of a scanner. Some features the 330 has over the 97 are:

• BR330T = 2500 channels, Pro-97 = 1000 channels total.
  • Dynamic Memory vs. 10 Banks.
  • Fire Tone Out (I don't use this, but could see where it would be useful in larger cities).
  • Race Track Operation (if needed).
  • 10 custom search ranges vs 1 on the 97.
  • Search with Control Channel Only (great for finding new trunking systems).
  • 13 Service Searches including AM and FM radio.
  • Search (and close call) Auto Store.
  • BR330T has SEARCH with SCAN. Meaning you can search custom or Service Searches and scan your programmed memory at the same time!!! This is a great feature.
  • BR330T can have any # of Priority Channels (although too many kind of defeats the purpose of "priority") whereas the 97 is limited to just 1.
  • Priority Plus scanning allows you to only scan your priority channels!
  • You can search for both CTCSS/DCS at the same time on the 330T (97 you have to do one or the other, not both at the same time)
  • You can also lockout unwanted CTCSS/DCS tones (very useful to me)!
  • Up to 5 seconds delay time on the 330T, Pro-97 is 2 seconds (this can be applied on programming, searches, etc.
  • You can make the scanner pause on the "system" on every scan cycle up to 255 seconds (not the you need that long) but if you are mainly interested in a certain agency, you could have the scanner scan that system 10 seconds and the rest set at 0. It would "hold" on that system for 10 extra seconds before checking the other systems.
  • Close Call and scan programmed channels at the same time.
  • Individual Channel Alerts (choose any of 9 alerts per channel with individual sound levels)
  • Smaller size!!!
  • 330 uses 3 batteries vs. the 97's 4.
  • You get all your accessories (AC Adapter, PC Cable) with the 330.
  • Last but not least! You can actually ask Uniden's Product Manager (aka UPMan, Paul Opitz) questions on these forums about the scanner and they are answered!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure there are more I could post...... One thing I do like on the 97 is the analog squelch. The Pro-97's backlight was also brighter but the 330's is adequate. The Pro-97 is a good scanner, I can't deny that. However, the BR330T feels more rugged whereas the Pro-97 feels really cheap. I never used the Pro-97 other than on a desk, because the beltclip looked and felt like it could break at any time. It sounds like I am bashing the 97, but I'm not. The 97 is a good scanner, I just prefer the Uniden BR330T over the Pro-97 because of the above.

The BR330T vs the BCD396T: The 330 seems to be a bit more sensitive than the BCD396T, but I have no actual proof of this. Connecting the BR330T to my base antenna (Scantenna) it works very well on MilAir (what little there is around here). I could hear some NORAD freqs and some C-130's headed into Little Rock AFB. Also what I suspect is some refueling freqs.

The HF receive ain't all that bad either. It's no table top unit, but it does well for it's size.

Of course, these are my experiences in my area. Yours may differ?

matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.