Got my GRE PSR300, newbie help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adlx21

Last edited:

N8IAA

Hey all i just got my GRE PSR-300 with the usb cable. Im trying to listen to the San Francisco Fire Department. Its San Francisco, City & County of (Public Safety) Trunking System, San Francisco, California - Scanner Frequenciesthe talk group im trying to listen to is "Dispatch - Division 2 - Control 2"DEC - 14832 HEX - 39f Mode - Aim also using Win97 software(using the trial for now) Win97 - Data Management Software for the PRO-97, PRO-2055, PSR-300, PSR-400, PRO-164, and PRO-163 ScannersAny easy approach would be helpful. Sorry all

Easy approach= First, turn on the scanner. When the Welcome screen comes on, push the #3 button. This tells you which firmware version you have. If it is Version 1.03 or earlier, you need to use the middle section on the dropdown window under the tab: Scanner. If it is higher than 1.03, use the bottom to download and upload. Second, open up Win97. Third, plug the USB cable into the pc. Do you know what com port the cable is on? If not, go to Device Mangager and look under Com Ports. Set the com port to the correct one in the software under the Configuration Tab. In whatever bank you want to follow the FD, you must click on window near the top that says Type. You want to highlight MOT mode. On the first channel of the bank you have chosen, put the first Control Channel in under Frequency. In the next box(Rx Mode), double click and highlight MOT. In the first box (Alphatag), put in what you want the frequency to say when it stops on your TG. On the top there is a window that says Tag, tag the bank with what you want it to show when scanning. Click on the box next to the one that says Closed. You want a check mark there so you can listen to only the DEC TGID on that bank. If you want to listen to more than one of the fire TG's, put all those in that have an 'A' under the Mode box from radio reference. To the right of the frequency block is another that has Alphatag and ID, plus 0-4. This is where you want to put your TGID of 14832. Make sure that you click on DEC to make sure it takes the TGID. Under the File tab, click on Save, it will prompt you to name the file. Give it a name and click save. Making sure the radio is on, plug in the USB cable, and then click on the Scanner Tab, Click on the appropriate model of scanner. Wait while it downloads to the scanner. It may give you a message on the scanner screen about being the wrong model. Disregard and unplug the cable. The scanner will reboot and begin scanning. Hope this was simple enough for you. If not, let me know, and I'll try to help:) I have the radio shack mobile version of your scanner.
Larry

adlx21

YESS YOU ARE GOD!!!!

i got that talk group to work. i do have a couple questions:
what is "A" under the mode box mean? i do not see an "A" anywhere.

is there a way where I can have separate talk groups. all i gotta do is clicking 'prm' to switch or something?

Last edited:

adlx21

eh, im getting a bit confused now.
im trying to hear all dispatches at the same time. (one channel?) and all the tacticals on different channels.
I dont know if anyone is familiar with SFFD's system, but are all the dispatches the same?

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=60 (scroll down to SFFD's talk group)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
what is "A" under the mode box mean?
You can hover your mouse over many of those columns and it will give you a description. A under mode means it is Analog voice.

is there a way where I can have separate talk groups. all i gotta do is clicking 'prm' to switch or something?
I am not sure what you are asking here. The basics of programming the San Francisco system are: program the 4 control channel frequencies (in the same bank). Set each of the frequencies to MOT mode. Since it seems you only want to hear fire calls, select the box to CLOSE that bank. Lastly, on the lower right of the page for the same bank as you entered the control channel frequencies, program in the IDs for the TGs you want to hear, and give them a text description.

im trying to hear all dispatches at the same time. (one channel?)
You will not be able to hear more than one thing at a time unless you have more than one scanner.

and all the tacticals on different channels. I dont know if anyone is familiar with SFFD's system, but are all the dispatches the same?
I was just down there and monitored the system. A1, A2 & A3 are dispatch TGs; A4, A5 & A6 are command TGs; A7 through A16 are "tac" TGs. It sounds to me like you want to program all of them. I hope this helps.

adlx21

You can hover your mouse over many of those columns and it will give you a description. A under mode means it is Analog voice.

I am not sure what you are asking here. The basics of programming the San Francisco system are: program the 4 control channel frequencies (in the same bank). Set each of the frequencies to MOT mode. Since it seems you only want to hear fire calls, select the box to CLOSE that bank. Lastly, on the lower right of the page for the same bank as you entered the control channel frequencies, program in the IDs for the TGs you want to hear, and give them a text description.

You will not be able to hear more than one thing at a time unless you have more than one scanner.

I was just down there and monitored the system. A1, A2 & A3 are dispatch TGs; A4, A5 & A6 are command TGs; A7 through A16 are "tac" TGs. It sounds to me like you want to program all of them. I hope this helps.

gotcha. thanks!
i still dont understand the 'A'. im hovering over the icons, but no description.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
i still dont understand the 'A'. im hovering over the icons, but no description.
Yeah I see that that does not work for that description. It does for many of them. You'll note that some talkgroups have a "D" in the mode column. You will not be able to hear those TGs with a PSR-300.

Status
Not open for further replies.