Got my SDS200 but need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I got my new SDS200 but need help. I updated firmware, and loaded my systems ok. I checked and they are in the radio. But can't get it to scan. No scan button! Also display keeps shutting off every 20 seconds or so. I need to figure out how to scan my 6 systems in my 1 favorites list. Right now it looks like it is stuck on 1 thing but display keeps turning off.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I got my new SDS200 but need help. I updated firmware, and loaded my systems ok. I checked and they are in the radio. But can't get it to scan. No scan button! Also display keeps shutting off every 20 seconds or so. I need to figure out how to scan my 6 systems in my 1 favorites list. Right now it looks like it is stuck on 1 thing but display keeps turning off.

Set the display backlight on time in the scanners menu system or in Sentinel.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
When in doubt, try the different options... learn what they do firsthand. And then, if there is something you still don’t understand, after you have bounced around in the menu some and consulted the manual, there’s always this message board. I found part of the fun of owning a new radio with a steep learning curve is exploring the various options.

As for the display backlight blinking out, your question has been answered by another. The reason the radio doesn’t scan could be any one of a number of things. Check to see that everything entered has a “Service Type” assigned to it and that those Service Types are turned on. Another possibility is that the scanner will not stop on channels or talkgroups of some commonly used forms of encryptIon. So if you have a trunked system that totally encrypted such as the Florida Highway Patrol and another conventional channel such as the local fire department, you could conceivably wonder why you are only hearing the FD. Those are just three of possible reasons for your issue. Not to worry, keep hitting up the group here with what you need help with. You may get a couple of “Read the manual” comments, (which really are justified-you should read the manual... and explore the menu first), but others will post an answer you can use.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
If you don't have this already, I suggest using this for a reference. You will become an expert before you know it.
Search for System Hold
OK I am looking for a setting called "System hold" but cant find it. It seems scanner will only scan my 6 systems in my favorites file only if the whole database scans along with it! So thats not good.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
When in doubt, try the different options... learn what they do firsthand. And then, if there is something you still don’t understand, after you have bounced around in the menu some and consulted the manual, there’s always this message board. I found part of the fun of owning a new radio with a steep learning curve is exploring the various options.

As for the display backlight blinking out, your question has been answered by another. The reason the radio doesn’t scan could be any one of a number of things. Check to see that everything entered has a “Service Type” assigned to it and that those Service Types are turned on. Another possibility is that the scanner will not stop on channels or talkgroups of some commonly used forms of encryptIon. So if you have a trunked system that totally encrypted such as the Florida Highway Patrol and another conventional channel such as the local fire department, you could conceivably wonder why you are only hearing the FD. Those are just three of possible reasons for your issue. Not to worry, keep hitting up the group here with what you need help with. You may get a couple of “Read the manual” comments, (which really are justified-you should read the manual... and explore the menu first), but others will post an answer you can use.
Thank you for the help. I am going thru manual now but still need to figure out what I am doing wrong. Trial and error. scanner is scanning the systems I have in favorites list but it will only scan while I have the full database turned "on". So lots of stuff scanning I wont hear.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I turned off the setting for scanning whole database. But scanner wont scan MY systems. But if I press the "1" key all it says is "Quick key navigation" and some things below. I dont understand. What is a "softkey?" is that just another name for the "1" button? Radio is in SCAN MODE but says nothing to scan.
On the SDS100/200 you have to hit the quick key number followed by "E".

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the help. I am going thru manual now but still need to figure out what I am doing wrong. Trial and error. scanner is scanning the systems I have in favorites list but it will only scan while I have the full database turned "on". So lots of stuff scanning I wont hear.
OK finally figured out why radio wasnt scanning my systems, got that fixed. But there is one system that even tho it has a quick key assigned to it, it doesnt scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.