Got my Technician license today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
Took the test 5/18/19, and passed. Today I showed up in the FCC grants as KJ7GTZ. I have a Yaesu FT-65R, that I need to program. A Retevis RT95 is on the way for my truck. We have a Hamfest in Prescott, Az this weekend. Thrilled to be involved in the hobby! I will be working local simplex and repeaters.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Not so expensive in some ways. My first dual band HT, a Yaesu FT-51, was around $400 dollars when introduced in 1995. Great radio and still works well, but not even digital. My first digital, an Icom IC-91AD cost almost $600 when pre-ordered at Dayton the year it was introduced in 2006. My first dual band mobile (FM only, FT-90R) was about $400, my most recent, a CS800D DMR/analog mobile was $300.

needairtime

Congratulations!

Ugh... I've been cheap and only am using garbage equipment, enough to get started I guess. I think I'm pretty close to my 1 year anniversary and still using a Baofeng and a bunch of junk gear acquired from local hamfests (total value, including my license, baofeng, bunch of LMRS radios, ancient Kenwood HT, ancient scanner, all less than $100...) I doubt my experience with the stuff is nearly as good as or fulfilling to others, not to mention that I still don't have equipment for bands that I'm licensed to operate, but it's what I wanted and expected from what I spent - the learning/hack effort to get it working was worth it in my opinion!

jim202

Great on passing your ham license. Now the big question is what band you want to operate on and what radio equipment to use. Your antenna will be determined by the bands your going to use.

My suggestion would be to find a local radio club and start going to their meetings. Ask around at the club as to who may have some radio test equipment. Like a service monitor to be able to check out your radio and antenna system.

Your new technical contact may become your radio mentor. Most people find that tagging up with a mentor will make your learning curve for radio technical info so much easier. Been there and done that many many years ago. Now I am becoming a mentor myself to some of the local hams.

You will eventually find a nitch in some area that will interest you and you will flourish in that area. Be it CW, antennas, fixing radios or just tinkering. Maybe even working other ham stations in other countries. There is so many areas to plant your feet and enjoy what your doing.

Jim

kb6hlm

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of Ham Radio !
I still remember my first day when upgraded my license to a technician plus why back in the 80s :)

Wow those were the days ! Talked all day and night on 10 meters all around the world on just 10 watts of power into a sloppier antenna even had a bunch of DX contacts from the mobile using 1 watt

I still have my box of QSL cards from way back then All on 10 meters and you name the state or country and I probably have worked it

I sure do miss those days :(
Please come back 10 meters !!!!

Anyone else remember the 11 year sunspot cycle in the 80s it was HOT !!

Congratulations again young man

WA4NUF

Congratulations on getting your ticket. Amazing hobby and may facets to explore. From satellite contacts to digital, DX and everything in- between.
Enjoy and have fun.
Gene.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
My local club gave me 6 months free membership. I programmed my FT-65R with frequencies they suggested. I'm going to get outside in a bit to try my first contact. I'll work 2 and 70 for the Summer, and study for General. I plan on being on HF by year end. This is a great forum!

cmdrwill

Yup you passed the test and got your license... again Congratulations.

Except now the real learning starts as much of what you need to learn was not on the test.

Great that the local club gave you a six months free membership. GREAT idea..

We do need more Mentors. As I find one on one learning is priceless.

kb6hlm

Good to hear your working on your General Hope to catch ya on on the air soon

Guess I'm the OM here as no one remembers the 80s LOL its too bad the HF bands really suck theses days o well maybe someday it will come back before I'm a silent key I hope :(

73s

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Took the test 5/18/19, and passed. Today I showed up in the FCC grants as KJ7GTZ. I have a Yaesu FT-65R, that I need to program. A Retevis RT95 is on the way for my truck. We have a Hamfest in Prescott, Az this weekend. Thrilled to be involved in the hobby! I will be working local simplex and repeaters.
Congratulations!

A lot of fun can be had with the Tech ticket, the upper bands are so convenient for experimentation with antennas. I was tuning a new 6 meter Yagi late this morning and to my surprise I heard traffic on the band. I worked 11 contacts up north in Virginia, both of the Carolinas, and the rest in New England states. 6 meters is amazing, you never know what's coming. There was also some 10 meter activity although I didn't pursue it, was too busy getting the beam tuned.

Enjoy the hobby.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the ham world and congratulations on obtaining your license.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Congrats on the new Lic,just like KB4MSZ said a hole lot of stuff can be done with Tech class ticket the best thing is dont let others define the hobby for you define it for your self,good luck and most of all have fun.....

KC5AKB

Field Day is near a great chance to learn and to use other folks radios and to get on HF , and new modes with a control Op and meet some locals .
Contact your local clubs AND see where they will be .

Status
Not open for further replies.