Got p25 working on Pro-197 But another problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusco25

This is really weird I never seen anything like it.. I got P25 picking up but only in certain areas I can literally move the scanner a foot or less from a spot it is picking up I will get nothing, move it back and it is full bars.. This is very odd.. This does not happen with analog channels Just P25.. Using stock antenna.. 453-460 range

wheels63

A better antenna should help.I`m stuck with my antenna as high as I can get it in my bedroom and it made a lot better on picking up stations even as far a way as 35 miles.in the 154-163 range.

Tom

DJ11DLN

That's pretty much the norm if you're using either of the stock antennas - mine does the same.

+1, same here. The ST-2 overloads it even with the attenuator on but the pull-out, while it works fine sometimes, other times isn't quite enough. But move it an inch or even just tilt the whip a bit and it's five bars again. I'm going to try a Spectrum Force on a grounded piece of sheet steel in the attic and see if I can strike a balance.

ecps92

P25 Conventional or TRS ??

A Very common occurance with a Simulcasted TRS, where the scanner is trying to decode the same signal arriving from multiple sites.

One of the better ways to eliminate that is/was to get a beam and point it at ONE of the nearest sites.

Remember, the scanner is not the same as the Commercial two-way that agencies use.

This is really weird I never seen anything like it.. I got P25 picking up but only in certain areas I can literally move the scanner a foot or less from a spot it is picking up I will get nothing, move it back and it is full bars.. This is very odd.. This does not happen with analog channels Just P25.. Using stock antenna.. 453-460 range

Dusco25

P25 Conventional or TRS ??

A Very common occurance with a Simulcasted TRS, where the scanner is trying to decode the same signal arriving from multiple sites.

One of the better ways to eliminate that is/was to get a beam and point it at ONE of the nearest sites.

Remember, the scanner is not the same as the Commercial two-way that agencies use.

P25 Conventional

Dusco25

That's pretty much the norm if you're using either of the stock antennas - mine does the same.

It is normal for a company to sell a scanner that can or cannot pick up a signal by moving it a few inches? My Uniden does not have this issue..

joeuser

The Wretched
Its not the scanner its the antenna. You can buy better whips. Get an elbow & the Radio Shark 800 whip, cheap & good. The center loaded telescoping antenna is a bit cheaper & would give you good overall coverage. Diamond & Comet makes great antennas albeit for more money... HTH

Dusco25

Its not the scanner its the antenna. You can buy better whips. Get an elbow & the Radio Shark 800 whip, cheap & good. The center loaded telescoping antenna is a bit cheaper & would give you good overall coverage. Diamond & Comet makes great antennas albeit for more money... HTH

What is a good antenna for 453-460? I got to say the 197 sounds so much better with P25.. The decoding blows my Uniden away.

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
What is a good antenna for 453-460? I got to say the 197 sounds so much better with P25.. The decoding blows my Uniden away.
Of those two Rat Shackers - the center load telescoping at 15$. However, there may be specialty antennas better suited. That's pretty close to the 440 HAM area - might be something in that antenna genre also. I cannot speak to those antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.