Got tired of the dim pale blue BCD536HP display

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

I used to love the blue screen of the bcd396t i always wanted that model when i was a kid, i was mad that my bcd346xt had orange instead of the blue. But i had no need back then for digital and i couldnt afford it at the time making minimum wage. Lol ahh the good old days

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
436HP color screen mod

Pretty simple to add color to your 436HP LCD display. Remove the six screws on the back case and with the scanner front facing down , pull the front and back case away so that the keypad and contact stays intact. Cut the transparent color film 46mm wide x 57mm long - this will give you enough room to tape it secure to the LCD metal frame.
Attach one piece of clear tape on top of the color film and metal frame , you can add a piece small on to bottom . Do not touch the LCD - I used a pair of tweezers to position and hold it in place while applying the tape .

Attachments

• 436screen1.jpg
    436screen1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 690
  • 436green v1.jpg
    436green v1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

budevans

Pretty simple to add color to your 436HP LCD display. Remove the six screws on the back case and with the scanner front facing down , pull the front and back case away so that the keypad and contact stays intact. Cut the transparent color film 46mm wide x 57mm long - this will give you enough room to tape it secure to the LCD metal frame.
Attach one piece of clear tape on top of the color film and metal frame , you can add a piece small on to bottom . Do not touch the LCD - I used a pair of tweezers to position and hold it in place while applying the tape .

Thank you for the photo's and instructions. That's a big help.

In May of 2015 a RR member did virtually the same thing. He found colored film at a Arts & Crafts store.

Here's a link: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/313087-mult-color-screens.html

LOL, that was your post from 2015.

OK, so which film type gives the better visual results?

Last edited:

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the photo's and instructions. That's a big help.

In May of 2015 a RR member did virtually the same thing. He found colored film at a Arts & Crafts store.

Here's a link: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/313087-mult-color-screens.html

LOL, that was your post from 2015.

OK, so which film type gives the better visual results?

The problem is the 436HP from 2015 had a different set of LED's . They were brighter and had more of a whiter color. The new LED's are not as white and more pale which make the color tones different and less vibrant. The Yellow film that you see in the picture is working best so far. My plan is to try in on my R/S 668 - Their "Low" brightness setting is Uniden's "High". I can probably use any color on the R/S 668 !.

mancow

Database Admin

I really like that color.

Also I would suggest laying one of the extra sheets over the front cover while you work on the LCD portion. I find that tiny dust specks tend to gather on the inside of the clear window if left off​ too long. Those drive me mad when I notice them after resembling something.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I really like that color.

Also I would suggest laying one of the extra sheets over the front cover while you work on the LCD portion. I find that tiny dust specks tend to gather on the inside of the clear window if left off​ too long. Those drive me mad when I notice them after resembling something.

So true about the dust . I use a dust off compressed air and photo lens dust tape to remove it. And a pair of reading glasses to zoom up . LOL

crazzycatman

Premium Subscriber
did you use 1 or 2 layers of the yellow film? thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Blue masking tape works great to remove dust buildup. When I'm modding scanners, I run the sticky side of the tape on surface of the LCD screen and the inside of the bezel just before reassembly. It cleans up any residual dust very effectively. It also works good on digital camera sensors.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

rs16

Premium Subscriber
I like the yellow also. Very impressive.

Do you have to leave the backlight on to get this effect?

If yes, won't that burn out the backlight rather quickly?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Led last years so no worry there

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.