goTenna lets you text & share your location when you have no service

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2ops

goTenna lets you text & share your location when you have no service.
goTenna | No service, no problem.
Pair your smartphone to your goTenna device wirelessly, using Bluetooth-LE. Your goTenna needs to be within 20 feet of your phone, so that the two can communicate with each other. Use our free app to type out a text message or share a location. Your smartphone will send the message to your goTenna, which will then shoot it out, via long-range radio waves (151-154 MHz), to the intended goTenna(s). At the other end, the exact same thing happens, in reverse: the recipient goTenna sends your message over Bluetooth-LE to the smartphone app it's paired with. All of this happens in a matter of milliseconds.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
goTenna lets you text & share your location when you have no service.
goTenna | No service, no problem.
Pair your smartphone to your goTenna device wirelessly, using Bluetooth-LE. Your goTenna needs to be within 20 feet of your phone, so that the two can communicate with each other. Use our free app to type out a text message or share a location. Your smartphone will send the message to your goTenna, which will then shoot it out, via long-range radio waves (151-154 MHz), to the intended goTenna(s). At the other end, the exact same thing happens, in reverse: the recipient goTenna sends your message over Bluetooth-LE to the smartphone app it's paired with. All of this happens in a matter of milliseconds.

Saw an article about this on Phonescoop already, nice concept, but i`d be waiting to see just how this`ll actually shake out. Given that it transmits on 151 to 154MHZ, there COULD (emphassis added) be issues down the road with it re, RFI to incumbent users of the freq range mentioned as it transmits at two watts. I do like the concept, and would defenitely give one a kinda serious snort (look-see :)) if the oppertunity presented itself, but for now i`d wait till this all shakes out with the FCC (and that might be, or may have already happened by now too). N9NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.