• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

goTenna Pro Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonTracy

W9TCP
goTenna has released the specs for their "Pro" line. Part 90 device that lets you put in frequency groups for anything your org is licensed to use.

Trying to find out if it can be used with itinerant frequencies, does anyone here know?

Would love for this thread to be used later with people that own them to discuss real-world performance.

Link: https://www.gotenna.com/pages/gotenna-pro-homepage/

nd5y

Somebody needs to post the FCC ID.
As far as I can tell the company only has two equipment authorization grants, 2ABVK02629 and 2ABVK80085, neither of which are for Part 90. There could be others under a different name.

JasonTracy

W9TCP
I contacted goTenna support got some more answers.
FCC ID is 2ABVK37337. (doesn't appear they're certified yet)
They also agree with toastycookies that as long as you're licensed for itinerant, you can use their device on them.
Very interesting to think of these being used on aircraft as a repeater.
That combined with mesh really makes this a fascinating product that I can't find a way to cost justify for my own use, but certainly see where others may have very good reasons to use it.

JASII

Memory Capacity
GoTenna Pro Discussion

I was out of the country last week, but I did have the email waiting on Sunday when I was back in the United States. It is certainly interesting, but also quite expensive. I, too, look forward to learning more about these units.

While I may have missed it, did anybody here catch what modulations mode(s) are anticipated for these units?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They were displaying these at IWCE last week. 've got the flyer on them.
Says 5 watts output, but based on the size, the battery is going to be pretty small. Says "60 hours 1,00 - 12,000 messages), however the specs show power settings of 500mw, 1w, 2w and 5w. No doubt the 60 hours is based on the 500mw setting.
VHF - 142-175MHz
UHF - 445-480MHz
With the antenna removable, it's got some possibilities. It'd be nice if the price comes down, though.

Advertised as $499 per unit, Summer 2017.
Or, you can purchase a "deployment kit" of 30 units, charger, case for $20K.

The one unit I did look at turned out to just be a case with no innards in it. I didn't see an FCC ID on the unit.

W5TXR

Premium Subscriber
Too much $$

This goes into the 2 meter and 70 cm portion of the amateur radio service.
While the concept is very nice the price is the dealbreaker for us.
$500 each? I don’t think so, I just don’t see the value.
I purchased a couple of new Globalstar satellite telephones for about half the price!
The globalstar phones work %100 of the time.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
The globalstar phones work %100 of the time.

Really, that hasn't been our experience. Even when standing in an open field or on top of a building. What's your monthly rate and per minute cost BTW?

Status
Not open for further replies.