• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GoTenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
gotenna

The range chart is as big a joke as the packaging for FRS radios. These are most likely 100mw devices, and any of the estimates are based on an ideal condition calculation, not real world use.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
The website indicated a 2 watt radio. If you have a good base antenna at each location, I could see an effective range of 8- 10 miles, give or take.

Don't forget, FM data causes ranges to shorten drastically, not because you can't hear a signal, but because the modem that is trying to decypher the 1's and 0's may not be able to correctly receive the entire packet of information. If one bit is missing, the data transmission is trash.

Edit: What I want to know is how they're able to use encryption protocols...

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
A 2 watt radio with a HT antenna to another similar radio is not going to have anywhere near that range, I use a 5 watt Mototrbo and 5 watt Motorola P25, and on 2 meters they don't come close to that unless I am talking through a repeater that has a gain antenna at a high altitude.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Jaspence do you realize that distance Guage is interactive?

It is still inflated if you ask me.

KF5YDR

If one bit is missing, the data transmission is trash.
Not quite. Error correction algorithms mean some of the data can get lost and the original datagram can still be reconstructed at the receiving end. Pretty much all modern radio data transmission systems incorporate some form of error correction.

GroundLoop

Premium Subscriber
I think many are basing the pessimistic range estimates on VOICE communication.

The GoTenna is an asynchronous texting-only data stick. The data rate could be incredibly low without reducing the user experience much at all. The Mesh aspect is something that could easily extend the range in real-world usage with more than two devices in proximity.

I have no idea how they work, or how overly optimistic the range is, but it seems likely that we could expect >voice range for 2W of power on MURS.

Think JT65 instead of P25.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This device appears to use MURS frequencies to allow digital communication between cellphones where there is no connection. goTenna | No service, no problem. And it would allow the phones to be a communications system.

No it does not have anything to do with MURS which operates on vhf and nowhere near wi-fi frequencies. It uses the internal wi-fi radio in most cell phones for short range texting.

n9zas

Mike_G_D

It does say 151MHz to 154MHz so I am assuming it is MURS. Data is allowed on MURS and the device appears to use Bluetooth or WiFi to pair itself with a Smartphone and then relay text data from the smartphone over the simplex VHF 2 watt radio to another similar device, etc. Simple and, I think, clever - MURS NEEDS to get used!

The only real problem I have with the device as presented on the web ad is that they show it in a backpack with passports, etc. Now, MURS is only legal in the US and its territories as far as I know so...

Otherwise, I like the idea and think it is a clever usage of the VHF MURS frequencies and linking them to smartphone data capabilities!

-Mike

Dantian

No it does not have anything to do with MURS which operates on vhf and nowhere near wi-fi frequencies. It uses the internal wi-fi radio in most cell phones for short range texting

What is the basis for your claim? I met the GoTenna guys and saw their product just a couple weeks ago. It is MURS according to their founder. The product is going through the device testing and authorization process.

When the text is relayed over the MURS where does it go to? Does it go into a cell service or the internet? Or is just from one GoTenna to another GoTenna?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
When the text is relayed over the MURS where does it go to? Does it go into a cell service or the internet? Or is just from one GoTenna to another GoTenna?

Yep, just goes from one GoTenna to another. Does not access the cell network or internet. Probably not long before someone links one via bluetooth to a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.