• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GP380 From Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
I have been looking to buy a GP380 off ebay and I found this.....

95% New ! GOOD condition!

Motorola GP380 Two-Way Radio VHF

(136~174Mhz)

255 Channels Transceivers
With Accessorries

Item's Detail:

Motorola’s unique MDC signaling allows the transfer of data communications at the high-speed rate of 1200 bits per second.
The Forward error correction technology enables radio to receive message, like PTT-ID display, radio status and send out remote killing signal or emergency call even though the voice signal is too weak to be heard.
Expandable & easy to install in the field, by adding option boards like voice storage board & DTMF Decoder boards whenever your needs arise. The option board also allows up to 2 minutes of recording.
The plug-in mandown option board feature will trigger an emergency procedure in situations where the radio is horizontal or still for longer than a pre-programmed time. It is critical for radio users who work alone or in isolated environments.
The GP380 is certified by the US Factory Mutual standard intrinsically safe to operate in hazardous atmosphere.
The built-in voice-activated feature (VOX) enables users to transmit their message in a hands-free environment, without pressing the push-to-talk button.

Signalling - Quick Call II, DTMF
Power Output - 5W (VHF)
Option Board – Yes
Keypad – Yes
Display – Yes
Emergency Button – No
Battery Life-8hours(High Power)10Hours(Low Power)With Standard Hi-Capacity NiMH battery
MilSpec - MIL-STD 810C, D & E
Intrinsically Safe – Yes
Weight (gm/kg) - 428gms (With Standard Hi-Cap.NiMH battery)
Frequency-136~174MHz
Channels – 255
Dimension (H X W X D) - 137 mm x 57.5 mm x 37.5 mm ( With Standard Hi-Cap.NiMH battery)

The GP380 Features
Signalling
The radio software encompasses Private Line? and 5-tone selective signalling.

Channel Scan
Allows activity on different communications channels to be monitored and answered.

X-Pand? Voice Compression and Low Level Expansion
Crisp, clear and strong audio quality in virtually any noisy environment. Low level expansion allows further improvements in audio quality by reducing noise usually heard during pauses in conversation.

Voice Operated Transmit (VOX)
Hands free operation when used with Vox headset accessory.

Emergency Signalling
Sends a help signal to a pre-defined person or group of people. The help signal can contain a pre-recorded voice message enabling your whereabouts or status to be determined immediately by the receiving person.

Lone Worker
Added security and safety for individuals who work remotely from their team. The radio enters emergency mode if the user does not respond to the warning signal.

Option Board Expandability
You can expand the existing capabilities by adding one of the following option boards; Encryption for message security, SmarTrunk II for low cost trunking, Voice Storage option board provides voice recorder features allowing you to store and retrieve messages.

Whisper
Allows a user to speak quietly into a radio and still be heard clearly.

Call Forward
Allows calls to be forwarded to another radio user if you are unable to answer your calls personally.

User Information
A14-character alpha-numeric display contains a battery gauge and signal quality indicator and provides separate distinctive tones plus name decode for many incoming calls.

Ease of Use
Simple menus and an alpha-numeric contact list make the full power of GP360 simple and intuitive to use.

Status Calls
Pre-defined text messages which allow the user to send meaningful messages without talking.

Package includs:
Motorola GP380 VHF 2-Way Radio
New AC Charger (220V OR 110V, Depends on your country.)
New Battery 7.5V 1200MAh
Belt Clip
Antenna
English User Manual
Programming cable and software

Ok so From what i have seen this radio does not do MDC or QCII Is this true or not? Please help!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
If you look at your list of features, the very first one under signalling, says Quick Call II, which is what I believe you are partly refering to. I do not believe MDC is an option on these radios! Notwithstanding these features, they are very good radios, I have 2.

/\/\anny

Last edited:

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
I see that but if you google the radio and look at a dealer page it says they don't do them so i am kind of lost.

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
gp380

Hello here is my 2 cents worth on that. I was also looking at the gp 380 few months back on ebay. Well i did some research on them on the net and lot of poeple said you may not get the complete radio if it coming from out of the usa So i found this on ebay and bought on It is IC f 4001 which is the uhf model that does qc call and mdc. They also make one that is vhf. Action Commications out of az where i got mine for around 130.00 bucks and it great little radio and they will program it for you.

dustinw251

GP380 on Ebay

I will have to say I have purchased 2 of them a UHF and a VHF model. I currently have the VHF and it works great. The only problem I had was that the charger went out which after discussing it with the seller he is sending me another one which doesnt matter I ordered a quick charger online for it. But I am anxious to get my UHF in for work. I really like the operation and the battery life is good. The dealer on ebay I bought from is Digital_come06 and his english is a bit rough but he does communicate very well and is good about getting back to your inquiries.

roxcomrox

I've also gotten a GP 380 and an GP 68 from Digital_come06. Great communication and quick shipping from HK. The GP 68 I got had a cosmetic flaw and he sent me a complete radio to replace it and told me to keep the 1st radio or dispose of it. Needless to say I have 2 GP68's and 1 has a scratch on the display.

cheers.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
95% new?

I have also been considering the UHF GP380 to replace my MT2000's. I'm not sure what "95% new" means... did motorola refurb them? Were they display or demo units? Being that they were originally in Hong Kong, are they the same spec (channel spacing, band splits) as radios sold in the USA? Since they are selling them for the same price as brand new, do they have a warranty that would be honered by Motorola? Also, they include a programming cable, but is the software available to US consumers? Or is this the special Motorola RSS software? Thanks for any information.

Wallboy90

Hello here is my 2 cents worth on that. I was also looking at the gp 380 few months back on ebay. Well i did some research on them on the net and lot of poeple said you may not get the complete radio if it coming from out of the usa So i found this on ebay and bought on It is IC f 4001 which is the uhf model that does qc call and mdc. They also make one that is vhf. Action Commications out of az where i got mine for around 130.00 bucks and it great little radio and they will program it for you.

Action Communications is great to buy Icom and Motorola radios, they do free programming on all there radios i have bought from him in the past.

Firetalker

Motorola GP380 VHF

I have been looking to buy a GP380 off ebay and I found this.....

95% New ! GOOD condition!

Motorola GP380 Two-Way Radio VHF

(136~174Mhz)

255 Channels Transceivers
With Accessorries

Item's Detail:

Motorola’s unique MDC signaling allows the transfer of data communications at the high-speed rate of 1200 bits per second.
The Forward error correction technology enables radio to receive message, like PTT-ID display, radio status and send out remote killing signal or emergency call even though the voice signal is too weak to be heard.
Expandable & easy to install in the field, by adding option boards like voice storage board & DTMF Decoder boards whenever your needs arise. The option board also allows up to 2 minutes of recording.
The plug-in mandown option board feature will trigger an emergency procedure in situations where the radio is horizontal or still for longer than a pre-programmed time. It is critical for radio users who work alone or in isolated environments.
The GP380 is certified by the US Factory Mutual standard intrinsically safe to operate in hazardous atmosphere.
The built-in voice-activated feature (VOX) enables users to transmit their message in a hands-free environment, without pressing the push-to-talk button.

Signalling - Quick Call II, DTMF
Power Output - 5W (VHF)
Option Board – Yes
Keypad – Yes
Display – Yes
Emergency Button – No
Battery Life-8hours(High Power)10Hours(Low Power)With Standard Hi-Capacity NiMH battery
MilSpec - MIL-STD 810C, D & E
Intrinsically Safe – Yes
Weight (gm/kg) - 428gms (With Standard Hi-Cap.NiMH battery)
Frequency-136~174MHz
Channels – 255
Dimension (H X W X D) - 137 mm x 57.5 mm x 37.5 mm ( With Standard Hi-Cap.NiMH battery)

The GP380 Features
Signalling
The radio software encompasses Private Line? and 5-tone selective signalling.

Channel Scan
Allows activity on different communications channels to be monitored and answered.

X-Pand? Voice Compression and Low Level Expansion
Crisp, clear and strong audio quality in virtually any noisy environment. Low level expansion allows further improvements in audio quality by reducing noise usually heard during pauses in conversation.

Voice Operated Transmit (VOX)

Emergency Signalling
Sends a help signal to a pre-defined person or group of people. The help signal can contain a pre-recorded voice message enabling your whereabouts or status to be determined immediately by the receiving person.

Lone Worker
Added security and safety for individuals who work remotely from their team. The radio enters emergency mode if the user does not respond to the warning signal.

Option Board Expandability
You can expand the existing capabilities by adding one of the following option boards; Encryption for message security, SmarTrunk II for low cost trunking, Voice Storage option board provides voice recorder features allowing you to store and retrieve messages.

Whisper

Call Forward
Allows calls to be forwarded to another radio user if you are unable to answer your calls personally.

User Information
A14-character alpha-numeric display contains a battery gauge and signal quality indicator and provides separate distinctive tones plus name decode for many incoming calls.

Ease of Use
Simple menus and an alpha-numeric contact list make the full power of GP360 simple and intuitive to use.

Status Calls
Pre-defined text messages which allow the user to send meaningful messages without talking.

Package includs:
Motorola GP380 VHF 2-Way Radio
New AC Charger (220V OR 110V, Depends on your country.)
New Battery 7.5V 1200MAh
Belt Clip
Antenna
English User Manual
Programming cable and software

Ok so From what i have seen this radio does not do MDC or QCII Is this true or not? Please help!

I perished 1 of these GP380 and no it dose not do MDC or Quick call II coding, it does do 5 tone decode and encode and DTMF, I tried using the ID signaling but it doesn’t get recognized by a HT 1250 or a CDM 1550 and the programming software is all together different than a HT 1250 with Quick Call II and MDC, I also tried using the 5 code in place of the Quick call II but that doesn’t work either, and no where in the soft ware does it give you a option for MDC all though it does give you a place for the ID number of the radio, now where in the software will you see MDC signaling or Quick Call signaling.
But hey it is still a great radio and I think the signaling will probably work on other GP380s other than that every thing seems the same as US radios
AS you can see from this list of what the radio can do, it dosent say anything about MDC or Quick call II

Motorola GP380 VHF/UHF 4/5Watts

Introducing the Motorola "Professional" Series. High build quality combined with advanced specification makes these units the choice of the professional user.

A Wide Array of Features Include:

* Signalling

The radio software encompasses Private Line™ and 5-tone selective signalling.
* Channel Scan

* X-Pand™ Voice Compression and Low Level Expansion

* Voice Operated Transmit (VOX)

* Emergency Signalling

* Lone Worker

* Option Board Expandability

You can expand the existing capabilities by adding one of the following option boards:

- Encryption for message security - SmarTrunk II for low cost trunking -Voice Storage option board provides voice recorder features allowing you to store and retrieve messages Whisper

* Call Forward

* User Information

A 14-character alpha-numeric display contains a battery gauge and signal quality indicator and provides separate distinctive tones plus name decode for many incoming calls.
* Ease of Use

Simple menus and an alpha-numeric contact list make the full power of GP380 simple and intuitive to use.
* Status Calls

Pre-defined text messages which allow the user to send meaningful messages without talking. Please check with your dealer for availability on specific option boards

Frequency Range: VHF: 136-174MHz; UHF: 403-470MHz

Memory Channels: 255

Dimensions: 137mm x 57.5mm x 37.5mm

badcop452

yeah i had the same problem with my GP340 charger... that hk guys english is a little rough but i figured id give mine a try and almost 3 months later... still works! however i never knew that mdc signalling was that annoying "SQUACK!!!!!!" at the end or beginning of transmit... sad now cuz if i knew that the GP european series didnt support that after buying it... i never woulda wasted my money

sadams

GP380 or any non-U.S. Moto product

Having been in the LMR business for a bunch of decades, I'll let you guys in on a part of the Moto philosophy. The HT 750 series is absolutely identical to the European.Asian GP340+ series as well as the PRO7100+ series made for Latin America....except the flash of the CPU...and the pricing. Moto makes much more profit from the U.S. version, hence the black market GP340s etc. The problem is this radio is very old technology and it's CPU doesn't have the capacity of the $200 competitive radios that we have here from Asia. The U.S. versions have two-tone, MDC and digitally coded squelch. In Europe and Asia however, the use of 5/6 tone signalling is far more common and unlike MDC or "DPL", Moto didn't have any power to control it's use so if they wanted to play there, the radio had to have 5/6 tone. However, something had to go because of the CPU capacity, hence MDC and QDCII went. Neither is used as much as 5/6 tone over there anyway. Moto also used it's Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) to keep out MPT1327 turnking and TETRA technologies from the U.S. thus keeping their patented SmartNet, etc. as a captive audience force. It's all about the power and the money. It was interesting to see gray market HT750/1250 etc. that started life as a PRO7150 etc. and simply had the labels changed. Moto was watching for large orders of just labels. The Latin American versions were over $100 cheaper than the identical U.S. models. Moto software contains a model number list and if the radio doesn't match the list, that software won't start (this takes place because you must first read a radio before you can do anything. Note that the "clone" function first reads the radio before downloading too. U.S. dealers have been getting smarter by employing 5/6 tone signalling in new systems to keep Moto from bidding, just like Moto used to do with MDC and DPL until the patents/IPRs wore off. Next week I'm going to a seminar by a Moto competitor that claims to have a $975 MSRP radio that will play on a SmartNet system where up to now, if an agency made the decision to employ Astro Digital SmartNet/SmartZone, the user couldn't really buy anything that wouldn't play on it. (EF Johnson was not really another "choice" either, due to licensing costs). News at 11.

rescuecomm

I have two of the GP380 VHF radios and the prior postings are correct. No MDC or Quick Call is available. Another important feature is that the radios will only do 5 khz or 12.5 khz channel spacings. Some of the new VHF splinter freqs can not be programmed due to this. I would not purchase these for a public safety agency. Mine work good on 2 meters and are very rugged for the price.

RS

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
yeah i had the same problem with my GP340 charger... that hk guys english is a little rough but i figured id give mine a try and almost 3 months later... still works! however i never knew that mdc signalling was that annoying "SQUACK!!!!!!" at the end or beginning of transmit... sad now cuz if i knew that the GP european series didnt support that after buying it... i never woulda wasted my money

I'll take/buy yours if ya don't want it lol

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
The only problem i've found with the GP series Motorola radios is that it does not do zoning like the HT series. The GP has 225 channels but you can not put them in different zones. You have to manually rotate the channel knob to the desired higher up channel. Thats alot of rotating. Its the cheap way of getting around the price of an HT but if your only going to only use 16 channels its a good buy. Other than that the radios are pretty much the same. I've had mine for 2 years and it never given me any trouble.

Plectron479

i bought one last spring and strictly use it as a scanner. I wanted a heavy duty scanner to stick in my bicycle bag with a good speaker and for my purpose it works good. I did program it once to transmit on the MURS frequency and that was very good. If I understood the software better I might do more with it, but whatever.

w2smw

you can diret enter the channel from the keyboard, and I have mine set up with scan lists instead of zones which will work the same as you can only scan 16 channels with either radio

Status
Not open for further replies.