GPS 35 HVS affecting clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I think I may have determined a problem with the use of a Garmin GPS 35 HVS with my 536HP. After sending the radio twice to Uniden repair shop to correct the failing clock I still have the same problem.

I have left the radio plugged in to AC power for 50+ hours to make sure the internal clock battery was charged. I then mounted the radio in my vehicle and plugged in the Garmin GPS 35 HVS. Within 20 minutes (not sure exactly when) the time/date went from the current time and date to a time of minus one hour from current and a date of Nov 6.

I then go to reset the clock and it starts with the new (incorrect) current date of 2097, Nov 6. I change it all to the current time/date and unplug the GPS and make my way down the road.. 30 minutes later and all is good. Date and time remain correct.

Could this GPS be causing some sort of interference that is affecting the 536HP or would the GPS be sending data to the radio that is resetting the date?

If anyone is using the Garmin GPS 35 HVS with their 536HP and can share their experience. Or if anyone has thoughts on this situation I describe that would be great too.

Also, what is a known reliable GPS that can be hard wired to 12v power (as opposed to using a cigarette lighter power plug) for use with the 536HP?

Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In Sentinel, in the MISC tab of the profile editor, set your clock options to the correct time zone and DST settings.

Or, from the scanner's front panel:

MENU --> Settings --> Set Clock --> Set Time Zone and Set Daylight Saving

When you plug in a GPS, the scanner's clock is set based on the GPS's output. But, since the GPS outputs GMT, if your scanner's time zone and/or DST settings are wrong, the time will be off (typically by an exact hour interval).

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
In Sentinel, in the MISC tab of the profile editor, set your clock options to the correct time zone and DST settings.

Or, from the scanner's front panel:

MENU --> Settings --> Set Clock --> Set Time Zone and Set Daylight Saving

When you plug in a GPS, the scanner's clock is set based on the GPS's output. But, since the GPS outputs GMT, if your scanner's time zone and/or DST settings are wrong, the time will be off (typically by an exact hour interval).

Okay, but how do you account for the date becoming incorrect?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

I currently have two GPS-modded 436 scanners in front of me. Both have GPS active and satellite lock, and about 15 minutes into the test, I rebooted both units, and they have been running with GPS active ever since. But their clocks are about 5 seconds off. While that is reasonably close, I would have expected that the clocks would have been more closely synced if getting time from GPS.

How often is the clock synced with GPS, and how precisely?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The scanners have been running continuously for 24 hours now, and the clocks are still approximately 5 seconds off from each other.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
The Garmin GPS35 HVS was the root of my problem with the date and time resetting. Since sending the 536 in twice for a suspected clock failure issue I have purchased the BC-GPSK and have a stable date and time on the radio.

I did find a website from a glider club detailing the same problem I had with the resetting date so I thought it best that I try the BC-GPSK.

Status
Not open for further replies.